GTA door button conversion

Started by Balfa, October 30, 2017, 05:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonno

Hi Shane
Don't know if this helps, but a post on US ABB forum has photos of the GTA door push button mechanism.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1963-1977/160406-gta-door-handle-conversion.html

Balfa

I ended up doing this conversion over my christmas break...I didn't get a photo of the inside with the buttons fitted unfortunately.

Posting an ad to sell my old GTV door handles. I will post some photos of the conversion later on if I can bothered...turned out quite well :D

shane1750

Just noticed the difference in my two lock mechanisms. Both doors are the older type i.e window lever mechanism rather than wire and pulleys.
Top photo shows LH door. It looks like it will be a lot harder to adapt to fit buttons,
may be easier to swap for the same type as the RH (bottom picture)

LukeC

Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

LaStregaNera

Quote from: shane1750 on January 16, 2018, 06:01:52 PM
Just noticed the difference in my two lock mechanisms. Both doors are the older type i.e window lever mechanism rather than wire and pulleys.
Top photo shows LH door. It looks like it will be a lot harder to adapt to fit buttons,
may be easier to swap for the same type as the RH (bottom picture)
I think the difference you are seeing is the mechanism that lets you lock the LH door from inside the car. If you really want to have a mirror of the RH latch, you'll need a LH latch from a LHD market.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

shane1750

The problem I am going to have is how to covert the LH lock mechanism to take the GTA button
As you can see the tab is different.

shane1750

Finally tracked down a LH door mechanism that is suitable to convert to take a GTA style door button.
There seems to be at least 3 different types of door catches used over the coupe production run

shane1750

Hi
I have just fitted GTA style buttons .
Should the flat section be at the side (90 degrees )
or the bottom (180) ?

Craig_m67

Can you use the push buttons from the handles on the 156/147?
Plenty of those around, would just need the handle and a bezel

(Could even have central locking!)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)