120 Amp Alternator

Started by sportiva, October 25, 2017, 10:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportiva

I

Citroënbender

What shape were the donor brushes in? Also, what brand of alternator - Bosch?

GTVeloce

Nice work. Have you installed a relay on your ignition yet? That had the greatest effect for me. I upgraded all the ignition/starting and charging wires to much beefier stuff but it wasn't 'right' until I did the relay as well. If you are running a bigger alternator but still no relay you run the risk of frying your ignition switch still.

Citroënbender

I like it. Alternator refurbs are somehow very satisfying!  Plus, there is so much support for older Benzes, parts will never be an issue.

LukeC

Good one to remember.

I worked on older Benzes for about 8 months in 1994. I was amazed at what you could buy for them. Problem was: they were built like trucks and drove like them too.

I will say a 300 SEL 6.3 in the wet is "Interesting"!

I am sure they drive better much better these days, but without exception look like s**t IMO.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

GTV4

Hi, I'm looking at doing this modification after fitting Hella H4/H1 combination in US buckets with big watt globes,relays wiring etc all upgraded to suit
Was just looking for the Bosch Al80X alternator and wanted to clarify that this is the one you used, it appears to be only 55amp ?

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=273288

maybe I'm missing something here any help would be great
Thanks

kaleuclint

I love my Benzes, but I can tell you that as far as Type 247 BMW motorcycles go, there is an entire industry devoted to replacing Bosch components (that I stick to).  Hard to argue with the efficacy of a Nippondenso starter motor modified from a Toyota truck unit that weighs less, turns harder, draws far less current and doesn't have the failure-prone glued in magnets.  Upping the 280W alternator to an aftermarket 400W Omega is another potential improvement.
2011 159ti 1750TBi