has anyone swapped a 2.5l v6 into a Tspark?

Started by cc, October 15, 2017, 09:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

Hi guys
Have been wondering if anyone has done this? eg for a spyder..

bazzbazz

To do so in Queensland I believe you would need an engineering report carried out to get it registered. (That regulation may have changed, been a while since I last checked into it)

Did you get that coolant leak in your 156 2.5 sorted ?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

LukeC

Under VSB14: National Code of Practice for Modified Vehicles. Which is published and available online at the DIRD (VSS) Website,  an optional engine or engine capacity/power increase of up to 20% does not require engineering certification.
Of course, sometimes the rego authorities don't know their own rules.
I did the 3 litre V6 transplant into my gtv last year and had it reclassified as a V6 without engineering certificate in the ACT. I had to inform the ACT roads on there own rules and sort of "extrapolated" the guidlines a bit though...
Just had to have a quick rego inspection and supply a weighbridge certificate.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

cc

Hi guys
My 156 is still awaiting attention for the coolant leak.. Hoping to have it back on the road before xmas.
Luke what year  is your gtv and was the 3.0 V6 replacing  a 2L four?
Did the 3.0 need some new custom engine mounts?
I imagine the exhaust system to the rear tail pipe had to be replaced.
I suppose an important question is, is it the same car under the bonnet.. ie are the engine bearing points similar/same, can the sub frame can be swopped in..
cheers

bazzbazz

Ahh going from a 2.0 twinspark to a 2.5 V6 is a "tad" more than 20%   ;)

And the engine mounts are different.

Also I think you will fine the wiring looms for the Engine ECU are different which would be a hassle.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

LukeC

Therefore it would be under optional engine (V6). Although (correct me if I am wrong) the V6 was a 3.0 Litre and not 2.5 in the Spider. So it can be done, but you are also required to make any other upgrades such as brakes etc.

My conversion was a 116 (pretty straightforward conversion), but I am more trying to clarify the certification approach for this type of conversion. Not knowing modern Alfas, I can't comment on the difficulty. Bazz is more obviously more knowledgeable than me in this regard.

I was at an advantage that at the time, I was working for VSS and could quite easily give the ACT reg people my business card (had I needed to).
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

bazzbazz

When it comes to regulations, I defer to your experience Luke, I only mention to check first as Qld is a little backwards when it comes to such things.   ::)

Quote from: LukeC on October 17, 2017, 12:20:34 PM
I was at an advantage that at the time, I was working for VSS and could quite easily give the ACT reg people my business card (had I needed to).

Remember, it's not what you know in life that matters, it's not who you know, it's who you've got dirt on that matters!  -  Baz

Check Six
Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast