156 Selespeed stuck in gear

Started by Blue Daimler, October 15, 2017, 09:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Daimler

Hi everyone I have a problem with my 156.
Recently (a week ago) I was having troubles' the same problem I'm having now. My pump wouldn't prime as I opened the front door.
I chased the electrics and found I had power to the pump. I bought new pump and relay. That fixed the problem, or so I thought.
It went fine for a few days and now the problem is back.
When I open the front door no pump prime.
I have disconnected the battery, still no go.
While it was working I tried to select city mode, that didn't work. Can the city modeselection button switch effect the pump prime? The car went faulty only a day after trying to select the city mode.
Any help would be appreciated. The car is parked in the garage, 1 and 1/2 hrs drive from a workshop and I can't see me getting it on a tow truck while still stuck in gear, we would have to drag the car out stuck in gear and the we would need to get it on the back of the truck. Help

Citroënbender

You can cobble up a spacer to push the clutch in, it's a fiddle but easier with the battery tray out. I'm presuming the car gear display is in 1 or R.

Has the Selespeed been serviced in the last eighteen months or so by anyone with proper diagnostic gear? It could be anything from clutch failure to accumulator issues or even a remote electrical issue.

Blue Daimler

Quote from: Citroënbender on October 15, 2017, 10:58:28 AM
You can cobble up a spacer to push the clutch in, it's a fiddle but easier with the battery tray out. I'm presuming the car gear display is in 1 or R.

Has the Selespeed been serviced in the last eighteen months or so by anyone with proper diagnostic gear? It could be anything from clutch failure to accumulator issues or even a remote electrical issue.

Yes the Selespeed has had a puta across it in the last 12 to 18 months, I replaced the accumulator and had the gearbox taken out to replace the selector between 2nd and third gear.

While gearbox was out we did the clutch, seemed the most prudent thing to do. My Alpha mechanic said it would need replacing, the clutch, was on way out and I said just replace clutch and all components that he thought needed to be done.

It is confusing the problem I have as it worked then not, almost overnight. Strange!!! I thought.

bazzbazz

Have you tried connecting 12V directly to the pump? If the pump does run do so for no more than 5 seconds so you don't over pressurise the system. That should give you enough pressure to get it out of gear at least.

If that works replace the pump relay.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Blue Daimler

Quote from: bazzbazz on October 15, 2017, 12:42:17 PM
Have you tried connecting 12V directly to the pump? If the pump does run do so for no more than 5 seconds so you don't over pressurise the system. That should give you enough pressure to get it out of gear at least.

If that works replace the pump relay.

Baz

Hi Baz, no I haven' but I will now. It's a brand new pump. I have also changed around the p50amp relays by the battery, to no avail.

I' so impressed with the 156 I bought my wife a 159. She now as impressed with Alpha as I am. They beautiful cars, shame I,m having probs with the 156. Thanks again Baz. 😎

bazzbazz

If you have just changed around the larger relays in front of the battery they are the wrong ones. The Selespeed pump relay is one of the smaller ones, and it is rarely the one in the position marked by the cover, I don't know why, but they are always shifted around and out of place.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Blue Daimler

Hi ya, I did get 12v straight to the pump and did as u said. When you talk of the relay bazzbazz  I got a relay with the pump off eBay. The relay that came with the pump was a 50amp. There are only 2x 50amp black relays, by the battery. I then assumed it had to be one of the two. I gather from what you say the supplier may be under a mistaken belief he supplied the correct one?
Am able to now start and drive to mechanic, thanks bazzbazz 👌

bazzbazz

Just realised something, if your 156 is a Facelift model the relay for the Selespeed Pump is above the glove box, there is an access panel in the top of the glove box.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Blue Daimler

I'll check. Haven't heard the term "facelift model".

bazzbazz

What build date is your Alfa 156?
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Blue Daimler

bazzbazz

Yours is pre-facelift, pump relay is in front of battery.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Cupcake

Just to clarify, 'Facelift' refers to the cosmetically 'facelifted' version of the 156 (and 147) released late 2005. Basically the same car, but with a new 'look' and a few other improvements. The term applies to all of those cars from that point on. 'Series II' if you like. .
Pre-facelift example (your car):
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d7/Alfa_Romeo_156_2.0_T._Spark.jpg/1200px-Alfa_Romeo_156_2.0_T._Spark.jpg
Facelift example:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/Alfa-Romeo-156-Giugiaro.jpg

poohbah

Just to really confuse BlueDaimler, there was also a pre-facelift facelift 156 from 2002, whereby the wing mirrors and rubber strips were body colour instead of blacked-out ...
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Craig_m67

Just totally confusle

Series 1.0 - 1999(?) Original 156, twinspark/V6
Series 2.0 - 2002(mid) Facelift INTERIOR with revised electrics and JTS/JTD engines
Series 2.5 - 2003(mid) Full facelift EXTERIOR

Aust historically gets things later than the rest of the (RHD) world, nothing's changed. Did it really take until '05 for full facelift 156's to arrive here, crikey (the 159 turned up in '06)!?

Series Nomenclature is mine, feel free to make your own up, YMMV, see a Dr if pain persists
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)