Tyre recommendations for 156

Started by jackieschlein@bigpond.com, October 14, 2017, 04:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackieschlein@bigpond.com

Hi Alfa owners! We have a 2004 156 JTS 2L 5 speed that needs new tyres. We are wanting to run it in the Formula 98 series next year, so want tyres that fit within the rules and will give us decent grip and longevity. Any suggestions?

warsch

Sorry, not too sure of Formula 98 regulations but either way.

If you need road legal tyres then Achilles 123S seems to be a good cheap road-legal semi-slick that seems to fit most of regulations.

Alternatively Michelin Pilot Sport 3 & 4, Conti SportContact 5, GoodYear Eagle F1, Yokohama V105, and Bridgestone Potenza RE003 are good options from well-know brands, though not semi-slicks.

Nankang AR1 is highly rated by local racers here in QLD, it's about 0.5-1 second/lap slower than Yoko Advan A050 while being way cheaper. But it's treadwear rating will likely prohibit from using it in road legal series.

martym00se72

Have a chat to others that run in the Formula 98 series (Andrew Scadding and Malcolm Ebel come to mind but I know there are others too - Mark Thomas should be able to put you onto them too) - I'm pretty sure you can't run semi slicks in the Formula 98 series. I don't think there are any real secrets between these folk - the idea being that the cars are all pretty much comparable. Tyres then become a matter of personal choice... Getting hold of a copy of the Regulations for Formula 98 will help too. :)
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?

V AR 164

Again can't comment on formula 98 series tyres, but I have to +1 on the potenza RE00- series. I have a set of RE002's and love them! They cost a bit and don't last the longest, but my good are they a great all round tyre. Also have experience with the Kuhmo Escta sport tyres and they are great as well.

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

gtv19

Hello Jackie, check with Mal or Andrew but I think Potenzas are probably best choice. Remember handling and wear do not always go hand in hand. Check wheel alignment and change brake fluid , maybe pads too. Cheers, have fun and good luck.
current,
alfa 3.2gt (q2)
159 2.4 Diesel Ti sportwagon
147 twinspark manual
past

105 spider (modified)
alfetta gtv twin spark
156 Ti selespeed x2
1.8gt`s 3 of
Alfetta sedan (sprint car)
105 series spiders(2)

Gtv6

I'm running Pirelli Dragon Sport tyres on my twin spark. Excellent road tyre and tackles the twisties with minimal fuss. Wouldn't doubt it'd tackle track work well.