One man brake bleeding video

Started by Colin Byrne, October 13, 2017, 01:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Byrne

Hey guys, here's a short video showing how i bleed up the brakes in my car

https://youtu.be/Z25Awopo2cU

72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

bonno

Hi Colin
Unsure whether it is at my end or the video link has been unsuccessful ie; Invalid Youtube link.  Anyhow here is one that I use which uses the vacuum pump to enable one man bleeding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deQviXpYBgY
cheers
bonno

poohbah

Colin, when you use the youtube link icon you only include the string of letters at the end of the link (that follow v=).
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Colin Byrne

thanks guys, sorry was in a rush and didn't check the post, fixed now

poohbah

Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Balfa

Lashua

Great tutorial vid Colin. I've never done that by myself and I feel a bit more confident after seeing your video. Thanks for sharing.

Colin Byrne

No worries guys, glad you liked it, i plan on doing more videos and I'll post links to them here but you can also subscribe to my you tube channel

cheers

kaleuclint

Might be the place to ask?  I have it from a respected authority that DOT3 and DOT4 brake fluid are in fact interchangeable (at least in some vehicles; possibly not Alfas) and that both have superior qualities to the other -- particularly that DOT3 is better at not absorbing water over long periods.

Any thoughts??
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Colin Byrne

As far as i know DOT3 and DOT4 are both polyethylene glycol based so in chemical makeup terms they are interchangeable and both will absorb water.  Dot 3, by definition, has a lower boiling point that Dot 4, which has a  lower boiling point than Dot 5.1, which is also polyethylene glycol based.  I think the one to watch out for is Dot 5 which is silicon based and therefor not interchangeable.  So like i said in the video, with the large twin piston Ali calipers and vented front discs i don't have any issues with boiling brake fluid and the penrite Dot 4 works well for my application and is cheap and easy to get
cheers

Mick A

Hey mate just wondering the reason for using Argon instead of something like compressed air etc?

Is it because you don't want any moisture to enter the system? I supposed compressed air would have some moisture in it but Argon wouldn't.

Anyways I'll let you answer! ;)

cheers!

Mick.

Colin Byrne

haha, yea, should have mentioned that bit, nice one!

Yep, distinct lack of air compressor induced h2o in the argon bottle is another main reason to use the welding gas

Mick A

Awesome work.

Have you ever tried this using a vacuum bleeder? Same principal really I would have thought? Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I have been using one for years and it's great because you can use your air compressor but no moisture enters the system. You just hook it up and open the bleed nipple then feed more fluid into the reservoir as it sucks it through.
Brakes come up perfect afterwards too. (I run a pedal box with separate cylinders like yourself) and I also like it because like you said not pushing the seals past where they are used to operating.

Mick.

Colin Byrne

Na mick, never used one of those, i did get one of them for work ages ago, but it never gets used. Very similar idea, do you any issues with sucking out of the bleed nipple and the nipple threads not sealing, that's the problem I've had in the past when trying to do things at the caliper end of things, but i guess if you have plenty of vacuum that's not a problem?