Honda shifter conversion...

Started by johnl, September 27, 2017, 06:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnl

Some time ago I mentioned a vague intention to, at some time, swap the stock Alfa shifter for something a lot better, i.e. a shifter mechanism sourced from a Honda Accord (in this case from a CB7 Accord, though there are probably other shifters that might be used, e.g. other model Accords, Prelude, and probably a few others I don't know of).

At last it's done, and well worth the effort, though it was more work than I was expecting it to be (and I did think it would be a fair bit of work...).

The new (well, old but modified) Honda based shifter works hugely better than the stock Alfa unit, with a substantially more precise / mechanical feel to it. It's very 'snicky' and communicative, as opposed to the somewhat disengaged long throw action of the Alfa shifter. The shift action now feels quite similar to what you might find with a good RWD car gearshift, where the shifter is directly attached to and reaches intimately into the guts of the gearbox with metal rods and levers (it's not quite as good as the best RWD shifters, but it's not all that far off).

It helps that while I was at it I took the opportunity to substantially shorten both the longitudinal and lateral shift lever throws. I didn't measure the stock lever throw (it's long), but the longitudinal movement (eg 1st to 2nd gears) is now only 95mm and lateral movement (eg 1st / 2nd all the way over to 5th / reverse) is even less at 55mm, despite the fact that I've significantly lengthened the upper part of the shift lever to bring the shifter knob closer to steering wheel height. I've built in some adjustments (a number of alternative cable mounting points on the levers at the gearbox end of the cables) so that I can play with the lever throw, i.e. lessen or increase the lever throws. The lateral throw is now at its shortest setting and feels very nice there, so it won't be changed. At some point I'll try a shorter longitudinal throw, but for now I'm happy and would like a few days off from any more car work, no matter how minor...

I've also moved the lever knob laterally so it's a lot closer to the wheel. Now, in any gear it's easily possible to simultaneously touch both the shift knob and the steering wheel with my left hand. A shift from any gear to any gear now occurs without having to move my hand more than about a handspan from the wheel.

So it's now a 'short shifter', achieved by changing the leverage ratios of the shifter itself, and also at the gearbox end. The lever length below the shift lever pivots is now longer than stock, but not a great deal (there is a limit on how long this can be, due to proximity of the plate to which the shifter attaches). Most of the change in overall leverage ratio is as a result of modifications at the gearbox end of the mechanism (shortening of both the levers). Despite the shortening of the lever throws (i.e. lessening of leverage in the totality of the shifter mechanism), the shift action is still acceptably light.

None of this is about trying to achieve a faster gear shift, this modification doesn't really do that (short shifters generally don't increase shift speed unless you're brutal with the gears, the best thing for faster gear changes is a lightened flywheel). It's all about feel, i.e. how it feels to use, the gratifying tactile sensation, as well as being able to feel more clearly what is happening inside the box as the shift occurs (hopefully eliminating the occasional muffed shift caused by lack of 'internal feel', as has occasionally occurred when driving this car...). It's now a pleasure to shift gears, rather than a slightly unpleasant experience, as it was before (not untypical of so many FWD shift actions). I haven't yet crunched a gear, though I haven't been using the car much since finishing this project...

IMO the Alfa 147 shifter is rather cheap and nasty, like so many others from so many other manufacturers. I'm not just bagging Alfa for this, lots of manufacturers seem to cheap out on the shifter (even Lotus has fitted some pretty ordinary shifters to some of their mid engine cars, so I hear). The main problem is that most of the parts are made from plastic, which visibly flexes (watch your shifter socket as you shift...), and seems to slightly compress with leveraged shifting forces. Any small deflection in the shifter mechanism, or anywhere between the shifter and the gearbox, is magnified a lot at the top of the shift lever.

There also seems to be a degree of 'stiction' in the way the plastic parts slide against each other (despite copious lubrication). Flexure etc of the plastic parts causes vagueness and unwanted 'springiness' in the mechanism (largely deflection of the socket, but all the various small flexures also stack up). Necessary clearances between parts (primarily between the ball and the socket) causes some sloppiness. Stiction between parts causes a feeling of drag as the parts move against each other. The shift action feels vague and plasticky as a result (IMO, though at least some other people don't seem to have an issue with it).

In comparison the Honda shifter is mostly metal, though it does use plastic bushes (but nice hard plastic that only acts as bushing material, not structural parts of the shifter). Instead of a plastic ball articulating in a less than rigid plastic socket (which allows lever movement in both lateral and longitudinal axes), the Honda shifter has a dedicated single axis pivot for each axis of lever motion. This results in a 'tighter' motion with significantly less sloppiness, yet less 'stiff' in its action. Note that when fitted in the Honda the inherent quality of its shifter is a bit hidden by several quite soft rubber bushes in the cable linkages, so eliminating these (using metal rod ends) makes a big difference.

I was intending to replace all four of the plastic cable end joints with metal spherical rod ends, but this turned out to be problematic. The cable rods at the gearbox end are 6mm OD, so it was easy to remove the plastic cable ends, tap a 6mm thread onto the rods and fit 6mm female spherical rod ends. Unfortunately, at the shifter ends of the cable the rods are only 5mm OD, and threading them would likely significantly weaken the rods. So, I retained the Alfa plastic joints at the shifter end of the cables, and cannibalised the Alfa shifters' metal lever ball post connections (welded them to the Honda shifter levers, or rather to the custom extensions to the levers). I was a bit lucky that the plastic joints at the shifter end of the cables were both in good condition with no discernible free-play. On the other hand, the plastic joints at the gearbox end of the cables were a bit worn, so it was fortunate these were easy to replace with the metal rod ends.

Sorry, I haven't taken any photos, but I'll answer specific questions about this modification, if anyone is interested enough to contemplate a similar conversion. Of course to do any of this the exhaust pipe needs to be dropped, the metal under-tray needs to come out, and the central tunnel inside the car needs to be taken out (all a bit of a pain). Be warned, this is a fairly big job, but IMO well worth it.

Regards,
John.

bazzbazz

That's why I drive a Selespeed !   ;)

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

warsch

Quote from: bazzbazz on September 27, 2017, 08:36:32 PM
That's why I drive a Selespeed !

I thought you drive it because of a family member who refuses to drive manual ;-)

bazzbazz

Not refuses, just can't . . . . no matter what she tells you . . . .believe me she can't, oh dear God she can't !!!    ::)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

bonno

I am in the same boat as bazzbazz, as approaching nearly 40 years of marriage my wife has never driven a manual and does not intend to, even if her life depended on it. One or both of my 2 x manual Alfas will eventually have to go, when the wife decides to join me in retirement

Citroënbender

I believe we're currently in the midst of a national referendum over the question of whether anyone should be allowed to drive automatics.  :P  Having mild arthritis and regularly bashing my knees into stuff in the course of work, the less unnecessary effort for my left leg the better.  :D However I do believe that manual gearbox operation, along with some other basic road related skills (tyre changing, first aid, light towing, load securing), should be an inflexible requirement for an able-bodied person's licence.

All that aside, thank you John for another interesting read about some proper hotrodding. It made me wonder if you could have also started from something like a short-throw T5 shifter and fabricated a baseplate with bellcranks to move the cables. What we need now is someone to build a column shift Selespeed, bench seat Alfa, ideally a sportswagon with fake woodgrain panels on the sides!

johnl

Quote from: bazzbazz on September 27, 2017, 08:36:32 PM
That's why I drive a Selespeed !   ;)

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Selespeed? Never tried one, kept hearing they were problematic, and besides that the concept doesn't really appeal. The selespeed isn't the same as a 'real' manual, it's not the driver changing gears, it's the driver asking a computer to change gears on his / her behalf. There is no physical connection between the driver and the gearbox, just a switch. No skill required. Boring.

Call me old school, but I actually enjoy changing gears myself, it's part of the enjoyment of driving a 'sporty' car. There's skill in using a manual gearbox 'properly', honed with years of practice (to the point that you only occasionally stuff it up). Rev matching and heel / toe may not be essential skills to get from A to B, but add to the fun, if you can do it adequately well. But, if the shift action is less than great then changing gear can quickly become a chore rather than a pleasure.

To use a well engineered / precise mechanism is a sensual pleasure (not quite an erotic one, though perhaps at least part of the attraction for gun fetishists, I suspect...). However really good shifters are rare (these days), so I doubt whether all that many people have actually experienced it when changing gear. The best shifters I've used are typically found in front engine RWD cars, where the shifter is pretty much integral with the gearbox, though some people find these can feel 'notchy' (which I like, but not to everyones' taste) and can be a source of sound transmission into the cabin.

My new custom shifter could be criticised as being 'notchy'. Because the mechanism is more direct and generally more rigid in structure and connection there is a considerable increase in 'fidelity'. Less 'data' is lost between the gearbox and the gear lever, so, I can feel the spring loaded balls and plungers etc popping in and out of their respective indents and slots inside the gubbins of the gearbox. I can more clearly feel the degree of moment to moment resistance of the synchromesh. I can feel the dog teeth engaging and disengaging. This is a good thing, though maybe it's only me...

Shifters in FWD cars (or any car where the shifter must be remote from the gearbox) can be good, but in my experience usually aren't because it's cheaper to fit a bad one which works well enough to do the job. I suspect too that most car manufacturers assume the average driver wants the shift action to be devoid of vibration, any other hint of mechanical connectivity, and to decrease potential noise intrusion. This would be why various rubber bushes and mounts are often used in FWD shifters. 

Regards,
John.

bazzbazz

Quote from: johnl on September 28, 2017, 03:38:10 PM
Selespeed? Never tried one, kept hearing they were problematic, and besides that the concept doesn't really appeal. The selespeed isn't the same as a 'real' manual, it's not the driver changing gears, it's the driver asking a computer to change gears on his / her behalf. There is no physical connection between the driver and the gearbox, just a switch. No skill required. Boring.

Go drive an Alfa 147 GTA up Mount Tamborine, then tell me their boring . . .I dare you !  ;)

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

poohbah

John I enjoy reading your posts - way over my head mostly - but admire your MacGyver approach to car modification.

Between your manufactured ARBs, Toyota suspension bits, Honda 5sp and other mods, I reckon there can't be much factory Alfa left in your 147 by now!   ;D
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

johnl

Quote from: bazzbazz on September 28, 2017, 08:48:13 PM

Go drive an Alfa 147 GTA up Mount Tamborine, then tell me their boring . . .I dare you !  ;)

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Baz,
without ever having driven one,  I'm confident that any GTA would be an exiting machine, but that's beside the point. The point would be to compare a selespeed equipped GTA to a GTA fitted with a good manual box (and a good shifter...).

All else being equal I'm fairly sure I'd prefer the manual car.

Regards,
John.

johnl

Thanks Citroënbender and Poohbah.

There is a definitely a sense of satisfaction in successfully "MacGyvering" "hot rod" solutions, over and above just fitting an available part bought off Ebay. It is especially satisfying when the end result of one's lateral thinking and hard graft meets or exceeds the imagined potential (when it doesn't, not so much...).

As for the latest effort, I think I'm very likely to now possess a road going 147 with a shift action at least equal to or better than just about any other similar Alfa on the planet (maybe). I have seen (on-line) excellent looking shifters fitted to 147 / 156 race cars which are more than likely to be superior to mine, but are very substantial affairs and not very road car friendly:

https://blog-001.west.edge.storage-yahoo.jp/res/blog-28-9a/chico147alfasport/folder/1509522/10/36442810/img_6?1264947914

Like this one, my Honda based shifter is fitted from above the 'transmission tunnel' (stock Alfa shifter is fitted underneath, to the 'under-plate', making it a complete pain to access), but unlike this one mine still has the cables running under the chassis, and all the standard trim items can be fitted over the mechanism.

My shifter can be removed / refitted from inside the cabin without having to dismantle the underside of the car. This is largely because the only part of the original shifter that remains (and still attached to the 'under-plate') is the very front part of the plastic moulding that locates the outer cable sheaths (the rest of the moulding has been hacked off as it's unneeded and gets in the way). To remove the cables still (unfortunately) requires the exhaust and under-plate to be dropped, but they can be easily disconnected / connected to the shifter itself from inside the car. The shifter is attached to the car by a couple of custom brackets bolted to the sides of the tunnel.

Here is a photo of the Accord shifter as it comes from Honda:

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/cHsAAOxy0zhTNjx7/s-l225.jpg

And a diagram:

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0900c152/80/05/fa/c1/medium/0900c1528005fac1.gif

Note that there is a small plate attached to a larger plate. I only used the smaller plate (and parts attached to it), discarding the larger one and the honda cables.

Here is a photo of a similar shifter modified and fitted to a 'hand made' sports / racing car:

http://www.kimini.com/Diaries/Pre2003/shiftdone.jpg

Not that the shifter has been turned upside down, as the Honda shifter in the Alfa also is (which allows the levers to push / pull in appropriate directions on the cables), and a lever welded to the top of the shifter lever forging (previously the bottom in the donor car). I've used more of the Honda pressed metalwork that positions the parts of the mechanism relative to each other and the bolts on which the levers pivot (this other car has discarded the pressed metal and used custom fabricated mounts).

I haven't welded a lever directly to the forging (as above has been), but bolted a small bracket to the forging (with existing two bolts) and welded a lever to the bracket. This lever is needed because in the original application the shifter only has a lever above the pivots, i.e. pivots at the base with a lever extending upward having the knob at the top and the cable attachment between knob and pivots.

The Alfa is different because there is a lever above the pivots (with gear knob at top), and another lever below the pivots, with cables attaching to this below the pivots (and below the floor). The shifter needs to be turned upside down and a lever added for it to work with the manner in which the Alfa cables are arranged.

With the inverted modified shifter, the cable that controls the longitudinal throw is now attached to what used to be the original gear lever, shortened with an appropriate new ending welded onto it for the cable attachment. An added lever ('gear stick') extends above the pivots. The short lever that controls lateral gear stick throw (i.e. translates lateral lever movement into push / pull on the appropriate cable) originally in the Honda pointed upward on the left side of the gear stick, but now points downward and is on the right side of the gear stick, as needed by the Alfa cable orientation / locations.

Regards,
John.

bazzbazz

If your mod even slightly resembles the one in this pic you posted I doff my cap to you sir as it would be an impressive piece of mechanical manipulation.
https://blog-001.west.edge.storage-yahoo.jp/res/blog-28-9a/chico147alfasport/folder/1509522/10/36442810/img_6?1264947914

Any chance of photos of the finished handy work ?
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

johnl

Baz,
I didn't mean to imply that my shifter was similar in build quality to the one in that photo. With an early background in silver-smithing and car restoration (I once worked for a motor museum restoring antique racing and sports cars, e.g. Bugatti), I'm confident that I could produce something as nice as that (or even better) if I were willing to invest the not inconsiderable time it would take. 

However, because time seems to become a more elusive commodity the older one becomes, my shifter is not nearly so schmick. The quality of my modded Honda shifter more resembles that of the shifter in the other photo I posted, i.e. this one:
http://www.kimini.com/Diaries/Pre2003/shiftdone.jpg

Despite using the same Honda shifter as the parts donor, mine looks quite different because I've used more of the original original shifter body (pressed metal), whereas the person who made the other one has fabricated the required supporting architecture needed to locate and hold the moving parts. But the quality of the work is not dissimilar.

I didn't have the time because having the car off the road for more than a couple of days would have been a problem, and the clock was ticking as soon as the exhaust came off, to when it went back on. Prior to starting the project I didn't know the detail and totality of what work would need to be done to both the shifter and to the car until I had the car apart and the parts on the bench. Because of this I could only do a limited amount of modification to the Honda shifter (largely best guessing what would be required) before having to render the car undrivable, for however long it was going to be. Once underway, it's a race to get the project completed, so, no time for cosmetic craftsmanship, especially as it would all be hidden from view.

Being a child of the mid 20th century, I'm having some trouble trying to post photos...

Regards,
John.

bazzbazz

Even if it's close to that last photo, I'm still impressed with you just having the fortitude to take the time and effort to do such a piece of mechanical manipulation.    8)

And don't worry about the photos, we'll drag you into the 21st century . . . all be it kicking and screaming.   ;)

;D
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

johnl

Let's try this. Photos in  attached Word file, with luck...

Regards,
John.