Flammable Fuel Rails

Started by bazzbazz, September 24, 2017, 04:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bazzbazz

Over the last year there have been several worrying incidents of Busso powered Alfas (2.5, 3.0 & 3.2) going up in smoke, mostly due to faulty fire rail connections.

A client dropped off his 156 GTA for a cam belt change yesterday and when he arrived I did a customary once over on the car just to make sure there were no nasty surprises that he was unaware of. As soon as he popped the hood I spotted something shiny under the hood, and not the intake pipes.

The primary Fuel Line Connector had slipped back and left a tell tail shiny band on the Fuel Rail Connection Point. This indicates that the connectors grip is losing its integrity and is slipping back and will sooner or later come adrift.

Now of course we can all see that some ham fisted individual has had a go at the connector at sometime and broken the release tags off. Now this may or may not be the cause of the connectors incorrect position, never less, if you ever see anything like this on your busso fuel rails get it fixed/replaced IMMEDIATLY, it could let go today, it could let go next year, but it no doubt will let go.

Is that the sound of many feet running out to the garage for a look see I hear ??   ;)

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

105greg

Well done bazz.  My Alfa is in good hands.

shane1750

Hi
    I have just had a look at my 166 fuel lines.
The LH one shown in the previous  photo, that  goes to the rear rail
looks to be on the way out. I have checked on eper but can not find a part number. What hose
should I source to replace this? The only identification I can find is DAYCO and lots of numbers that
don't come up in any search . Anybody know the dimensions of the hose?

Thanks
Shane

Citroënbender

If it's a 3.2 V6 the rear rail is integrated with the link hose; P/N 55190672

Can't comment on the fuel line ID other than to say some are cussed; for a long while VW used 7mm ID injection hose, as did Peugeot. Hard to find. Whatever the size, look for hose that's SAE J30R9 in preference to SAE J30R7.

You can buy quick connects in straight and 90° for peanuts out of China (surprise! Not!), else maybe look to salvage ones off a newish scrapyard car.

poohbah

Thought it was worthwhile just rebooting Bazz's very important warning.

As some may be aware, my first Busso 156 went up in flames due to this particular failure a few years ago.

I am relieved to say I have just had the relevant hose and connections fixed on my 156 GTA after averting a potential repeat.

On Friday night I popped around the corner to the local shops, and when I got out of the car could smell fuel.

Opened the bonnet, and found the connection to the fuel rail was wet, and the plastic connector could slide forward and back about 3mm on the male inlet nozzle.

Wiped clean, tightened the hose clamp and jammed the connector as best I could to get the car home, where I rigged a temporary fix that locked the connector in place on the fuel rail male inlet, and made sure it was secure, dry and no leaking.

Popped it into the workshop this morning, where my Alfa guru Leo at Cileberti's replaced the hose, clamps and buttoned it all up tightly again (see pic - and all done free of charge!). Looking at the original part, there was a small split at the end of the inner hose.

Just glad I caught it before I had another fiery tale to tell (I hope I'm not tempting fate by saying that...)

So please, if you have a V6, go and check your fuel line and fuel rail - the potential weakspot is located in the worst possible location for a fire. And if you have any doubts, get it replaced.

By the way Bazz - perhaps you could repost your original photo. Its no longer visible for some reason.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

poohbah

Just to close this out - I was able to source the OEM clip that Alfa subsequently manufactured to avert this issue. I was very lucky - the guys at Cileberti's found three brand new clips in an old box buried deep in their storeroom for who knows how long. Quick, easy and cheap fix. Part number is 60695993.
            1981 GTV

Citroënbender

Good save. Although the photo of a fitted clip shows consistent fine fissures on the upper flex hose. Might be time to renew.

poohbah

Yeah, i'll keep an eye on that.. Was chatting with another GTA owner recently who fitted some pretty swish braided aftermarket hoses with elegant machined screw-on alloy connectors.
            1981 GTV