33 Stradale in Australia research...

Started by 33Stradale67, September 13, 2017, 12:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

33Stradale67

Hello Aussie Alfisti.

I'm doing a research on the fabulous, but largely forgotten 33 Stradale, which just celebrated it's 50th anniversary on August 31st... This car is arguably one of the most beautiful automobile ever created, but a fact that many do not know is that it was the highest performance street car of that era: it could sprint to 100 kph in 5 seconds and reach 1km in 24 seconds, quicker than the Lamborghini Miura and Ferrari Daytona!

The Stradale i'm particularly interested in is the prototype #2 (VIN: 105.33.112) that now resides at the Alfa Romeo Museum in Arese, Italy. This car is somewhat controversial because many say it is a replica built by Alfa Romeo in the 1970's after they sold the original prototype to a Japanese individual. I on the other hand am trying to prove the contrary based on period pictures. And one of these pictures shows what looks like prototype #2 in the Alec Mildren (then Alfa Romeo Australian distributor) display at the 1968 Sydney Motor Show. Pictures can definitely help determine that prototype #2 was already built by 1968 and is therefore genuine.

I'm attaching the link to the only photo of the car currently available. Would anyone have been to the 1968 show and have other pictures of this car?

I'm also researching the only production Stradale that came to the southern hemisphere, VIN: 750.33.107 that belonged to a New Zealander named Bill Clark. He had the car for sale in 2007 in the magazine "Classic & Sports Car" (Attached pic). Would anyone have a picture and/or know the whereabouts of this car?

Thanks very much in Advance. Any help would be very much appreciated!

PS: If you have any questions on the Stradale, feel free to ask ;-)

Prototype #2 in Sydney: https://ibb.co/k72iTa

Classified picture for the sale of 750.33.107: https://ibb.co/eAhNMv

aggie57

Your photos are hidden behind a google wall.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

33Stradale67

Quote from: aggie57 on September 13, 2017, 07:22:13 PM
Your photos are hidden behind a google wall.

Sorry, first time in this forum. The photos should now be accessible.

33Stradale67

Quote from: sportiva on September 13, 2017, 08:19:59 PM
The only Australian reference to an alfa 33 stradale that I could find was in this May 1968 edition of an  Australian magazine called Sports car world.
The car had a front cover but no story to follow the cover shot, the only reference is in a story about autodelta where they mention that autodelta build the 33's for racing and some road going examples "like the one on the front cover"
And the  front cover photo has got to be a  file photo as I have seen it elsewhere many times since
Maybe this is useless info but others might have information in there files that might help.
I have included a poor photo of the magazine cover

Cheers

Hello. The photo is from the official launch of the car (prototype 01) at Monza on August 31st 1967.

Thanks for the photo, I did not have this cover in my collection ;-)

Here's the link to that original photo: https://ibb.co/c6yPjF

PS: Can you explain me how to directly attach photos? I don't seem to have the option in "attachements and other options".

Cheers!