156 engine swap advice

Started by 75guygtvgirl, September 18, 2017, 08:52:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

75guygtvgirl

Hi guys, I have a 156 v6 with a good strong engine but it has some body damage, sluggish transmission, average brakes, some electrical gremlins etc. I have the opportunity to buy a very tidy v6 monza with no issues other than a blown front head gasket. My question is, would fitting my engine into the monza be a better and more cost effective option than fixing up my 156 and/or repairing the monzas head gasket? Sorry for the long winded question just trying to work out my best options

bonno

Hi 75guygtvgirl
If you plan on keeping the vehicle, I would recommend engine swap over to the monza V6. You indicate there is also some body damage, brakes and electrical gremlins to your existing vehicle, which more than likely will outweigh the cost of purchase of the monza to fix, plus the advantage of a spare vehicle to do as you wish, ie; sell complete, break for spares or keep for spares.

75guygtvgirl

That's the way I'm thinking too. Especially considering the monza looks immaculate with the exception of the head gasket. It's also only $900 so I think it could be worth doing the engine swap

bazzbazz

Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper just to buy the Monza and fit a new head gasket rather than the entire hassle of an engine swap?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

75guygtvgirl

Guess it depends on the condition of the head and block. Plus changing water pump etc

Citroënbender

I think Bazz is on the money. It might seem less fun but it will be more focused and less messy.

bonno

There are many unknowns with the condition of the Monza v6 to give good and proper advice, but if the body and mechanicals are in good condition as described, plus has got a good service history, then the repair of head gasket on the monzaV6 would be less of a hassle and least costly option as indicated above. However, if you find on removing the head, you uncover a lot more head work is required (cracked/distorted), then this can get quite expensive and engine swap is the better option. No matter either way, the purchase price of the monza V6, is too good to pass and would try repairing head gasket first on the monza and take it from there , ie; either carry out engine swap or repair and reassemble.

bazzbazz

Quote from: Citroënbender on September 18, 2017, 04:03:46 PM
It might seem less fun

You and I sir definitely have different ideas as to what fun is !!   ???

;D
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

Lots of things are suitable to enjoy.  :)  I'm quite a contented person, it probably comes from not being on InstaFaceTwit, as one chap called the collective slag-heap of these forms.

But doing a re-power to an Alfa in Tasmania; no - not so much fun. You don't have the mainland's resources within driving distance, or the freedom of choice in machinists.