33 1.7 8V Build

Started by SteveHobart, September 10, 2017, 05:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveHobart

Hey guys! Firstly thank you for all your assistance and answers to (probably) stupid questions over the last few months. I thought I would take the chance to give those interested an overview of what I'm up to!

So the story. I found a unwanted (not running) Alfa 33 1.7 8V for a bargain price of $200 with Rego! Yes $200 mainly because it wasn't running and the current owner couldn't figure it out.

Anyway, $300 (delivered on a tilt tray) and it took 15 minutes to get it running (bad earth connection).

So I enjoy doing a bit of Khanacross and the car club I'm in is looking to start Rallycross so I'm thinking the Alfa would be a great car for this type of thing. I would also love to partake in some hill climbs and other assorted classic car events. So I'm looking for a good allrounder.

First things first, crunchy steering! So strut bearings need to be done. Ordered a set and installed them. Pretty straight forward job!

When the springs were out to do the strut bearings, I had them reset by the local spring maker to 35mm lower than stock. This has given a slightly lowering effect on the front without going silly and the stock shocks are still in great nick, so cleaned and all put back together.

Next stop is the engine bay. Oil and Filter replaced and my much publicised fuel pump issues fixed. Sprung for all new stainless fuel lines (it's a weird size) and replaced the old ones

Bit of bling in the engine bay!

Also took the wheels off with new Pirelli P1 tyres in 195/60R14 going on the standard rims tomorrow. I chose the Pirelli's because they were a good allrounder, they'll do Khanacross, Hill Climbs and will run Ok on a track. The below is the rubbish retread tyres in the wrong size that the prior owners had on it:

I've also been having a bit of fun with some racing stripes! Lol I know this won't appeal to the purists but I reckon they have added to at least 20KPH to the top speed!

So next on the list of 'to do's' are:
- Flush radiator
- Probably flush engine oil again
- remove rear springs and have them dropped 35mm
- changeout CV boots on LHS

And she should be (a) roadworthy and (b) ready to race!

Any other tips and hints, I'm all ears but I'll keep you updated with any additional works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveHobart

New boots for the little Alfa!

Went the 195/60R14's which are a little wider than the standard 185/65R14's but not much taller. Pirelli P1's which were on sale at a reasonable price ensures that the little Alfa remains all Italian (in brand anyway)

poohbah

Looks great Steve, what a bargain for $300.

I like the stripes too. But why not tricolore? That would add 50kph! 8)
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

amichie

What a bargain. Lovely car and lovely motor.

SteveHobart

Righto. A little bit of an update. Have been working on the Alfa here and there over the last few weeks. Have got the CV replaced and refitted with new boots (and what a PITA that was!).
Have fettled the suspension a little. Have had the coils reset by our local suspension expert which has lowered the front by 35 mm and the rears by 30mm. This has given me (measurements from the bottom of the guard to the ground) RF 610, RR 615, LF 605, LR 610. Gives a bit of an allowance for the drivers weight. I think it looks good too!

SteveHobart

Bit more Alfa done today. Have refit the Drivers Seat. It makes a huge difference with some extra foam bolstering and three new springs in the seat base! You don't fall through it whenever you sit down!
Had time to change over one spark plug just after dinner tonight, pulled the old plug which I think is really old. Covered in dry black deposits. I'm hoping that I have done this to it with all the short runs and idling and it's not a sign of a leaking Carbie (or carbies) as it definately looks like carbon/fuel deposits not oil. Fingers crossed.

SteveHobart

So pulled the last three plugs. All the same! Glad I decided to replace these! So it's all serviced now and took her for a quick spin. It's a great little car to drive! Sounds amazing too!
Only thing is, the brakes seem really weak. Not sure if it's because I'm also pressing the accelerator or they are just shit. Any advice?

bonno

Steve
I would check the condition of pads and if sufficient meat, give them a good bleed. Also check for any signs of leakage around master cylinder and brake calipers.   

SteveHobart

Alright, we are all ready for a roadworthy! It scrubs up alright IMHO, would be great to properly straighten the bodywork etc etc but we'll run it for a while and see where the priorities lay!

SteveHobart

poohbah

Nice work Steve, she looks fantastic - Ready to Race!  Are the carpets original?
            1981 GTV

SteveHobart

Quote from: poohbah on November 12, 2017, 03:04:10 PM
Nice work Steve, she looks fantastic - Ready to Race!  Are the carpets original?

Yes. All original Carpets as well as the rear seats. The front seats are the only ones I had to touch.

poohbah

I'm a sucker for red interiors. Nice.
            1981 GTV

81sprint

Nice looks like a bargain.

If you plan to race it, or even drive it enthusiastically on the street, fit a baffled sump now (I cant stress this enough, achilles heel of the 8v boxers). If you don't you will spin a bearing and you will cook a conrod. If not worse.

As for the brakes I'd have the booster rebuilt as a matter of course they appear to go off over time.
A kit through the calipers would probably be a good idea.
Set of braided lines, bleed and some Ferodo DS2500 pads.
If you're looking for a bit less fade you can use the calipers and discs from a 16v.

81sprint

I found some photos of a sump made for the sud series that might be helpful.