handbrake adjustment

Started by poohbah, September 06, 2017, 12:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

I'm confused. Handbrake on my 116 GTV is non functioning (handle can now point to the sky without holding the car).

My Haynes manual only talks about adjusting the cable, but past posts on here say you can't just adjust the cable, but need to adjust the calipers then the cable. Which is it?
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

martym00se72

Hi,
I can only claim limited, but recent, experience with this when I put new pads into the rear. I found that with the new pads in and adjusted for normal brake operation (an interesting experience of its own), the handbrake would take many more 'clicks' to engage and the handle went higher. I found I had to adjust the cable a bit to make it all work in conjunction with the pad clearance. I think with the extra meat on the new pads, the adjustment of the cable of the handbrake was then out of whack. I also read that the cable shouldn't be adjusted but I figure over time it stretches and also with the extra meat on new pads you kind of can't get away from the fact it needs adjustment as well.

It was a crappy job but glad to have learned a bit more about the car and saved the cash for having someone else do it for me. And the good bit is I didn't screw it up! :)

And for the record, the worst job so far on this car is replacing the cable on the window winder...
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?

poohbah

Cheers Marty. No dispute about the window winder - I've had to do that twice...
            1981 GTV

poohbah

Thanks Sportiva, that is a good detailed how-to, much appreciated.
            1981 GTV

bonno

Hi Poohbah
I am a little confused, as it is unclear whether the handbrake problem suddenly appeared or did it appear after you replaced the rear brake pads. If it is a result of pad change, then the comments above apply, however if suddenly appeared then maybe the handbrake cable adjuster and locknut assembly might have become loose.

poohbah

Bonno, it's something that has gotten progressively worse over the last year or so, and now no longer holds at all.

As I usually only drive the GTV on weekends these days, I have just put up with its gradual slackening over the last year. Even now, its ts only a minor inconvenience when you get stuck in traffic on a steep hill.

Brakes generally are functioning fine.

1981 GTV

poohbah

Yep, that's what I do with my daily too. Though the handbrake is purely for parking in the 156 as its a Q-auto!

Back when the GTV was my daily, I was also getting it serviced at the workshop every six months so it would get the handbrake adjusted then. It is due for a service, so I could hold off and just let the workshop do it, but am trying to do more stuff myself where possible.
            1981 GTV

bonno

Poohbah
I reckon the cable has stretched over time, thus requiring the adjustment. I have attached extract of w/shop manual on how to carry out this task.

poohbah

Yep, that's the same Haines manual I have, and is why I asked the question initially - it only mentions the cable, while elsewhere the need to check the calipers is referenced.
            1981 GTV

bonno

Poohbah
I know what I would be doing first and if it works then I would definitely not be touching the brake calipers. My understanding that the adjustment to calipers only applies when fitting new pads to provide the necessary clearances for heat expansion.

poohbah

You read my mind Bonno - I always try the quick and easy option first!
            1981 GTV

poohbah

Thanks Sportiva, that would be handy. Haines manual can be a bit hard to follow sometimes.
            1981 GTV

Rising Sun

Hi guys,

This takes me back quite a few years when I used to work on these things on a daily basis. So allow me to put my 3 cents worth in... but before I do, the information already shared is gold!

The hand brake works on one brake pad within each caliper only. If the cable adjustment is out, as in too tight, then the corresponding pad adjustment will also be out, but compensated for by the cable. The next thing is that these calipers are supposed to be self adjusting. The reality is different!!! They get sticky, and do require adjustment periodically (even from new). So to start from scratch and set it up properly, slacken off the cable completely. Then adjust the calipers correctly. Use the procedure from Poohbah. FYI, we used to adjust them so the wheel would just start to have some resistance when turning, and back off a quarter of a turn. And that's for both adjusters. Then adjust the cable, making sure the wheels turn freely on the second click. At this point, any adjustment needed in future should be at the caliper. As I said, the reality is different and they don't like to self adjust. Whenever the handbrake needed adjusting at service, we ALWAYS did it at the caliper. It should take a long time for the cable to stretch but if there is constant pressure on it due to being incorrectly set up, it will stretch prematurely. FYI, this info goes for all of the inboard stuff, be it GTV, 75, 90 or Sud (albeit front).

And here is a thought to ponder over. If you were to always make the adjustments at the cable, and the calipers do not self adjust, you will have one brake pad which is close to the disc running surface, and the other which is way out. Hence the importance to set these things up correctly. It's a little bit like setting up cable disc brakes on mountain bikes. Calipers first, then the cable. I hope this helps a little.

Cheers Russ

poohbah

Thanks Russ and everyone else for your input - all good to know and much appreciated.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to have a look at it on the weekend.
            1981 GTV

Rising Sun

My pleasure. And also my apologies, I mentioned Poohbah's procedure. I meant to say Sportiva's procedure...