Intro from Melbourne

Started by 156Buck, April 14, 2020, 09:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

156Buck

Hi all. I thought I should really do one of these intro's as I can see myself coming to this forum more and more in the future!

I'm Jake. I study mech eng, and when I'm not building cars at Work or Uni, im most certainly getting frustrated with Alfa's at home. Somehow there manged to be 3 Alfa's in the household.

2001 156 2.0 TS. I remember going to the dealership when I was 5 yrs old to go pick this up with my dad and that's where the Alfa bug bit. Was the main family car for about 15 years, then was my sisters first car and then/now still my flogger. Its rough around the edges, but unless it has a catastrophic boom I probably wont get rid of it anytime soon.
Got Eibach Springs, some kind of Bilstein's,Rear ARB and Cheapest 17in Enkei's I could get on Yahoo Auctions. Other than a clutch thats going (~150Km, plus about teaching 6 people to drive manual) its a pretty good DD and trasher. I'll start to freshen it cosmetically soonish.

2009 GT 3.2
Hasn't had the best life outdoors. Had the good old diff explosion back in the day. Has a Q2 now, otherwise standard. Tbh I think these are rubbish dynamically, but it is completely stock. Don't really enjoy driving it oddly! Brakes and Busso are great, but thats about it for me.

1972 Berlina 2000.
After plenty of discussions (involving a lot of beer) with Dad, decided to dip into the 4 door 105 game. Bought off another member on here who did some great upgrades.Wanted a good driver mainly and I'd teach Dad a bit of mechanical knowledge and would be a good driving & eventual resto project to do together.  Got Alfaholics suspension rebuild kit (rebushed, lowered etc), unconfirmed original ~60,000 miles. Great interior and no rust that I can find/see in the usual spots. (Im sure there is some lurking). Its been repainted in non original colour and terribly at that. Had a front ender and been put together pretty badly after that. Good from far, far from great kinda deal. Offset is that it drives absolutely great.

I'll post some photos tomorrow.

Cheers,

Jake

'01 156 TS
'72 Berlina 2000

Italian Supermodel

Welcome Jake,
   must say what a terrific introduction of yourself and your machines.
Colourful,  ambitious,   humble,  determined.....best summed up my initial impressions of a young fellow Alfisti bitten by The Bug. Enjoy the Club and all it has to offer and best of luck with the many projects ahead.

I S

kaleuclint

Welcome young fella!  What a super cool first car.

Where are you studying??
2011 159ti 1750TBi

GTV-074

Welcome Jake....

I reckon the Berlina would be the pick of the bunch, am I right?

All have their positives & negatives but I'm old school so 105's rule!

Throw up some pics when you can.

Cheers.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

156Buck

Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words! Study at Monash Clayton Kaleuclint. Berlina is the pick for sure, its got the best smiles per hour value easily.

Heres some quick photos of the trio

'01 156 TS
'72 Berlina 2000

bonno

Hello and welcome aboard Jake. For your viewing pleasure and under the current situation with COVID19, I have attached a couple of video clips that will put a smile on your face and provide an insight into the history and meaning of an Alfisti from it's origin in Milano Italy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccP1ztIl0CU&t=532s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71NeIpxKfYo

Colin Edwards

Hi Jake,
You may know Cooper Morrison.  He's studying mech eng at Monash - part of the Formula SAE group.  He also punts a very neat 147 in Twin Spark sprints.
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

GTV-074

Nice collection ....

2000 Berlina one of the most underrated Alfa's IMO ....

Real drivers car, could cover long distances with ease and comfort, pick of its contemporary 4 door competitors by a mile.

And today, easy to work on and besides some body bits, most parts readily available along with the other 105 mech bits.

Cheers.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

156Buck

Know Cooper very well Colin! We joined the FSAE team the same year.
Pretty much the justification for choosing the Berlina GTV-074. It's already gone on a few long distance drives with 4 people and a full boot. Other than wind noise and slight exhaust fumes its very very comfortable. Great Glass house.
'01 156 TS
'72 Berlina 2000

kaleuclint

You might also know a certain second year student who is still finishing some of first year following a massive shunt in his Formula Ford at Sandown?  He was grilled over his suitability for Formula SAE.  Maintaining an F1 car along with his Van Diemen might have gotten him in...
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Cooper75ts

Just need to get you on the track, once you've got that bug there is no return   ;D
1987 75 Twin Spark
2003 147 Twin Spark