GTV exhaust manifold heat shield - how important?

Started by poohbah, August 26, 2017, 03:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

My 81 GTV has a DIY aluminium heat shield fitted next to/above exhaust manifold.

My question is - is it really necessary? Was heat shielding fitted as standard?

The issue I have is that it always gets in the way (had the joyful job of retightening manifold flange nuts .... again ...), and if its not really critical I am minded to not refit it.

Clearly, it is intended to keep some of the heat away from brake master cyclinder and reservoir, clutch reservoir, wiring etc, but how much of an issue is that really?

What would alternatives be - other than having the manifold ceramic coated or fitting extractors?
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bonno

Hi Poohbah
My 1983 Alfetta GTV4 has no heat shield fitted to the headers and have encountered no problems with brake fading (brake fluid boiling). However if you decide to have a heat shield you could mount one directly below brake booster. Form out of piece of sheet Stainless Steel  - partial cylindrically shape or bend to desired shape remove sharp edges and radius corners.
cheers
bonno

poohbah

Cheers Bonno. I will run a few days without any shield, and see how it goes. I can only assume the prior owner fitted it for a reason, but will test it out.

Its not a huge drama either way.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)