Alfa Romeo 2008 - 147 -Selespeed - Left Side light failure - Message

Started by Rajat, August 16, 2017, 01:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rajat

Hi Guys

I am experiencing this message from past 2 days. This message "Left Side light failure" pops up randomly while driving, although light is working fine. I am not sure what is wrong.

Please help.

Citroënbender

Do you drive with lights on, or have you fitted non standard globes to any positions?

(Note, the H6W globes are not cheap!)

Mick A

The number plate lights can also cause this error.

They are cheaper being your standard 5w Wedge type globes.

Mick

Rajat

Hi Guys

I noticed few things yesterday.
1) Message generally comes up whenever i brake(not always but intensity has increased).
2) @Citroënbender: I intentionally drove to work today with lights on and surprise no error.

What the heck is going on? I have not changed any bulbs. I'll check number plate bulbs for any malfunction.

bonno

Hi Rajat
Is there any indication of moisture entering the rear lenses of your light assemblies. If so, this could be resulting in creating some momentary spike/high resistance in the electrics and therefore weather seal needs to be replaced. Check each bulb for signs of moisture corrosion around  the bulb (usually white powder residue).

Rajat

Hi Guys

Just wanna report back. Was an easy fix. Just cleaned the connection of the left side light.

Thanks

Garibaldi

I had the same problem when I had my 147. It turned out to be a faulty connection with one of the number plate lights.

Kay_147_GTA

I get the same error for my right side side light, think it's a lose connection as I hit a bump and the light starts working again / error message goes.
2005 147 GTA Monza (96 of 100)

Jords.L

I've had the same issue, and it's normally one of a few causes:

What tends to happen is the tungsten element inside the bulb breaks, but under intense heat it then "re-welds" itself but still shows as an issue due to faulty connection the reduced impedance across the element.

or it can be the connection behind the light, try and give it a push in case it's loose.

Lastly it can be a fault with the number plate light, have a mechanic remove the number plate fuse and then turn the light on. If the fault happens again you know it not the number plate light.

Eventually you should just replace the bulb as it will probably solve the issue, and it not at least you'll have another bulb for future

Kay_147_GTA

I also have the same issue but bulb has actually gone. Message ssually pops up after going over a bump and then disappears again when going over another bump.

Turns out headlights are a right b**** to change on a GTA :/
2005 147 GTA Monza (96 of 100)

poohbah

Like Garibaldi, had the same issue turn out to be rear number plate light in my 156.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)