33 Advice

Started by SteveHobart, April 22, 2017, 04:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveHobart

Hey all!

I'm new to the world of Alfa's so looking for some advice. I have happened across a 88 model 33 Hatchback. It's a 1.7 8v in reasonable nick. No major rust, full service history and ownership history. Picked it up for $250 as it had an electrical gremlin which stopped it starting (took 15 minutes to find and 10 minutes to fix in the end lol).

So the aim is to build it into a Rally car! :) But keep it Road legal for some cruises. So far I have started with the front end, pulled both struts out (the steering was creaky so I thought I'll have a look at the strut bearings first, both busted so new bearing and boots are on order, the struts are factory but not leaking oil, they seem ok, no excess bounce on the vehicle. I am guessing hydraulic not gas struts which would explain why they don't extend themselves once compressed). 

I have also cut out the rear muffler and replaced it with a piece of straight pipe, sounds awesome now, pops and crackles!

I have sourced some 13" alloys as well, the idea behind this is to run 'street' tyres on the 13's and a set of Rally tyres on the 14's. am keeping the cost down considering the original purchase price of $250! Lol

What I'm looking for is advice on what other mods to do to the 33 to improve it as a rally car and a road car? I'm not planning to throw heaps of $$ at this vehicle so cheap mod ideas are great!

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trikes

K&N Air Filter. Firestorm Filter (for Battery), stabilizes Voltage when your giving it to her.

Sportscar Nut

Steve, I would start with braided brake lines, good pads and brake fluid for racing.

Next would fit good quality tyres, stiffer springs and a set of Koni Sport shockers to complete stage 1!

Enjoy the car and suggest the car is better suited to track days rather than rallying being FWD and the cost to get the right suspension for off roads adventures.

Cheers Paul

SteveHobart

Thanks Paul. The Rally stuff is Khanacross. So low speed, just a bit of fun. FWD dominates it!
But I plan on running two sets of tyres, one for Khana (cheap) and one for track/hill climbs etc etc. would the Alfa suspension and chassis be up to matching a set of semi slicks on the track or is that overkill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk