Dual USB Hardwired Socket

Started by Citroënbender, July 31, 2017, 09:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroënbender

Seeking hints and tips, thanks.

I don't want to use the "plug into your lighter socket" type adaptors, doing that presently and it is not ideal (too wobbly and position sensitive).  Instead, I desire to augment or replace the lighter socket with a dual outlet USB fitting, capable of normal charging to a tablet or 2-in-1 plus smartphone.  So, probably 2.5A/slot or thereabouts.  Can't get any spec on the Narva one, other than the blurb from Brown & Watson, which is vague. 

Has anyone here, found a fitting which performs?

jazig.k

Get the genuine BMW lighter socket, drill a hole and mount it flush in the dash. If I'm not mistaken, you sound pretty handy so hard wiring behind should be easy.
It's 5volt 2100mA and can get them in dual or single usb. face is flush mount disc like, would be very neat.

Citroënbender

Great tip - many thanks!  Exactly the kind of info I wasn't finding. Plus, it being Euro I can get a correct harness plug kit then splice in a dedicated feed from the under-dash slave panel.

Does the lift-up ring help "lock" the inserted plug in position?  Not a deal breaker, just curious.

ETA: Also when browsing, found the single slot square-look BMW sockets, more food for thought if their supply is still 12V. 

Craig_m67

Super cheap and jaycar have several.
I like the BMW one, can it be had without the BMW lettering?
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

jazig.k

The BMW one is actually a genuine BMW product with part numbers to match. The best part about it will be that the item is of high quality and not Chinese crap. Buying it without the lettering would be a knock off Chinese repo. Nothing a little bog, sanding and paint couldn't fix though...

The ring doesn't lock anything, it's just a lift up ring that gives you something to pull it from the cigarette socket.

The USB/AUX inputs are the square panel mounted ones I'm thinking of, but I have no idea what power they put out or if they're suitable for reasonable charging.

Craig_m67

There's also a genuine dual USB version (PN#65412411420)
And a MINI version (PN#84109376941) with red instead of silver surrounds

All have imported into Germany by... Printed on them
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

kaleuclint

Quote from: Craig_m67 on August 02, 2017, 06:46:28 PM
All have imported into Germany by... Printed on them
Yes, it's getting harder and harder to obtain genuine Made in Germany stuff!

Ironically, I did consider fitting a USB power socket to my BMW motorcycle, but in the end I figured against drilling a pristine dashboard or crash pad.

FWIW I have a dual Belkin adaptor (with glowing blue ring) permanently stuck in the 159's switched power socket.  No issues, but I rarely use the thing.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Citroënbender

A chuckle at the .ru - with your linguistic background you may also watch Artur Tussik on YT...  ;)

My reservation about Aliexpress is the variable/unknown quality; or have you bought one of these?

jazig.k

Just think about the "made in China" "made in Germany thing... it matters to a lot of people. It's not where it's made but who is making it and setting the quality control standards.

I work for a multinational pump manufacturer... We have stuff made in India [the new "made in china" because cheaper than dirt cheap]. We import 10 pallets of castings machined up and finished for what we can make one piece for, sometimes we can't even get the raw casting for what multiple pallets finished and shipped costs. They still go through our QC standards and the scrap rate is around 80%... It's still a struggle to comprehend what the local manufacturing industry is even competing against when I see it daily.

Doesn't always matter who makes it, but rather who it is made for.

Unless you want your money going particular places or staying in Australia.

warsch

Quote from: Citroënbender on August 03, 2017, 09:20:26 PM
A chuckle at the .ru - with your linguistic background you may also watch Artur Tussik on YT...  ;)

My reservation about Aliexpress is the variable/unknown quality; or have you bought one of these?

Well, knowing two languages certainly widens the range of available information. Russians are also quite likely to fix things rather than replace them.

As for the part in questions - yep, someone bought it and installed in his car and was happy. But again, that's a cheap part so it can be faulty off the bat.

kaleuclint

Quote from: jazig.k on August 04, 2017, 12:57:58 PM
Just think about the "made in China" "made in Germany thing... it matters to a lot of people. It's not where it's made but who is making it and setting the quality control standards.

I work for a multinational pump manufacturer... We have stuff made in India [the new "made in china" because cheaper than dirt cheap]. We import 10 pallets of castings machined up and finished for what we can make one piece for, sometimes we can't even get the raw casting for what multiple pallets finished and shipped costs. They still go through our QC standards and the scrap rate is around 80%... It's still a struggle to comprehend what the local manufacturing industry is even competing against when I see it daily.

Doesn't always matter who makes it, but rather who it is made for.

Unless you want your money going particular places or staying in Australia.

Many years ago Metzeler shifted production of its 'classic' product lines to Brazil, all with the assurance that quality would be in accordance with German standards -- and it probably is.  In response I'd drop in to any dealer searching for old stock Made in Germany and I stockpiled some ME77s.  They are now over 25 years old and my mechanic's shop (owner worked for the Metzeler distributor back in the day) has no hesitation fitting these.  The new front tyre?  That'd be from Brazil!  I'm sure it's fine...

But would I buy a South African-made C-class?  No.  Fortunately the wagons come from Germany.

Years ago I wasted some time with an unnamed pump manufacturer (let's just say the work was monotonous...) after working in the aerospace sector.  Every managerial process in the firm was archaic in comparision or inspired by 19th century British industrial practices and I still can't figure how they made a profit.  Maybe they didn't.  The pumps themselves were effectively hand made to order with parts cast in Melbourne and I'm sure they were superb.

2011 159ti 1750TBi

Citroënbender

I've moved steadily towards nil physical progress on this one. Reason being, I wanted to evaluate my actual "needs" more thoroughly. 

Conclusion 1: I'm never going to use the ashtray (and neither will a passenger who values their wellbeing) therefore it is a place to mount stuff on an adaptor plate.
Conclusion 2: Some unknown item may just benefit from a retained standard lighter socket.
Conclusion 3: If I'm going the dash cam route, a dedicated overhead USB is much tidier.
Conclusion 4: If enabled, it's quite probable that multiple accessories would be drawing current at once.

Assumption: Despite being a fixed roof car, there is probably a sunroof feed wire up near the courtesy light.

I've been eyeing off the relatively cheap step-down circuits for USB power, both with and without an already mounted USB socket.  Idea one is (tentatively) to find a "donor" rain sensor shroud for the top centre of windscreen - something that looks plausibly original, and fit one power supply in there.  This will give me a less than six inch lead to a dash cam.  Idea two is as mentioned; remove the ashtray and its cradle, fabricate a small acrylic plate and mount two separate USB outlets in it. For these I can piggyback off the lighter socket feed plug.

kaleuclint

With the prevalence of dash cams these days, I can't figure why manufacturers don't provide a USB outlet near the mirror.  Probably for the same reason that the car doesn't come with a dash cam already installed.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Citroënbender

I'm playing with another approach in the short term - a 2/2.1A socket from Stedi.

Not desperately cheap - but one of the few with two high current outputs.  I have a spare 147 console and want to see how it interfaces with the lighter socket hole, also with respect to possibly roof mounting (overall depth being uncertain).