New Battery.... Opinions please

Started by Craig_m67, July 26, 2017, 07:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig_m67

First off (no spoilers) and thanks for reading; providing your experience, commentary, opinion, tangential verbiage... It's a community after all.

The Century (Ultra high performance) battery in my GTJunior has succumbed to a bitterly cold Brisbane winter. We've seen white walkers around town and seen temperatures as low as 11degC up here which frankly is shocking. Personally, I suspect I may have left the radio on also.. In anycase, "Cherry" requires, nay deserves! a new battery.. So I can get her out of the garage and back down the beach where she can continue to actively rust whilst being adored by yummy mummies with Bunnings and ninja warrior issues.

So. I could just grab another Century (nil maintenance) jobbie from supercheap but I'm interested in people's experience with smaller, solid or gel batteries (ie. Optima, Oddessy) that can be moved to the boot and or under the rear parcel shelf....

what have you used, bought, thrown away, been dissapointed with and generally settled on as as something you can forget

Cheers
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

bonno

Hi Craig
Exide Extreme battery is designed and built for Australian conditions. It is a sealed maintenance free battery and therefore requires no maintenance. I have installed maintenance free exide batteries in the past and have had no problems with them over quite a few years of service. Additionally, my Alfetta GTV has a Odysee maintenance free battery fitted in the boot and is going strong after 4 years of service (see photo attached) . Attached is a link to the Exide website.
http://www.exidebatteries.com.au/battery-range/passenger/Extreme

Citroƫnbender

I've had consistently good results with SSB "European" spec calcium batteries. Also had a Red Top that lasted fine until it was nicked by a panel shop employee. Now trialling a Turkish made species of calcium battery (AJ Force), good prices and so far good results.

Have only one "baby" lithium polymer battery in a car, it was sold to me with two caveats - never use a smart charger and don't use a high output alternator (the car is 1960s English made). The weight and size of this unit are just amazing.

Balfa

I'm no battery expert but I used a boot mounted Odyssey PC680 for around 2 years:
http://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/shop/product/4370/pc680mjt.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsazSv7Wr1QIV2AOBCh2KywRgEAQYAiABEgJaHPD_BwE

Till the Canberra cold and age reduced its ability to crank my engine.

I'm trying out a Fullriver HC20 at the moment as it is about the same dimensions and CCA rating:
https://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/shop/product/22715/fullriver-high-cranking-battery.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsazSv7Wr1QIV2AOBCh2KywRgEAQYASABEgLLp_D_BwE

Colin Byrne

In the last 11 years I've only had to replace my odyssey PC680 once, not a bad run

Nearly time for the next replacement, but for a car that doesn't get run all that often I've been super impressed with the Oddssey brand
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)