916 GTV V6 Ragazzon Exhaust

Started by Z.Kailis, July 24, 2017, 08:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z.Kailis

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a beautiful 1998 GTV 3.0 v6 24v and I am considering installing an unsilenced center pipe from Ragazzon Exhaust.

Would this make the car illegal in terms of it being too loud?

Also, if I do install this exhaust, do I have to have the engine tuned?

Thanks

Zak
1998 GTV 3.0 V6 24V

alanm

I don't know the answer to your question but you could ask EB spares uk, they sell a CSC straight through section for the 916.
Al.
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33

Z.Kailis

Okay Alan. Thanks for that, I'll check it out.
1998 GTV 3.0 V6 24V

V AR 164

Very rarely you would have to tune the motor for an exhaust upgrade. And even then I believe it is only to 'make use' of the new exhaust and to tune a few more HP out of the engine. So you should be fine with a centre pipe upgrade.

Typically the centre 'mufflers' are resonators and just change the pitch and characteristics of the exhaust sound and not necessarily the volume. The rear muffler on the other hand generally controls the volume and usually silences the sound a lot. Even more so on the busso's which typically have large mufflers from factory.

I reckon your best bet is to swap out the rear muffler and see how you like it. Then you can start playing around with mid pipes and such.

Regarding sound levels, you can never be sure how loud it's going to be. But most likely it will be over the legal sound limit. My car is over but have never been bothered by the boys in blue, just make sure to clutch in every time you pass one hahahaha.

Also congrats on your purchase, have any pics to share?

Just my two cents worth.
Cheers, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Z.Kailis

Thanks Andrew

I did not know that so I might go with doing something with the rear muffler instead. A set of quad pipes do look great on these cars!

Yes that's a good idea hahahaha

I do have some pictures but I'll just have to transfer them from my phone to my laptop quickly. I'll post some very shortly.

Cheers
1998 GTV 3.0 V6 24V

Z.Kailis

1998 GTV 3.0 V6 24V

Z.Kailis

1998 GTV 3.0 V6 24V

Z.Kailis

Accidently cut the wheels off of this pic and I don't know how to undo it hahahah.

1998 GTV 3.0 V6 24V

Citroënbender

Great photo, by cropping the bottom it actually better shows the similarities with the (also Pininfarina, same era) Peugeot 406 coupé.

Agree with other comments re centre "muffler" usually just being a resonating straight-through design, the rears typically control the sonic profile much more. I've one V6 car with stock exhaust through the centre muffler then modified, it drones horribly! But the cost of rework is more than the car merits..