75 Door wind deflector removal

Started by GTVeloce, July 20, 2017, 10:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTVeloce

Has anyone removed the wind deflectors on a 75? Mine buzz a little at speed and have UV damage so I would like to remove them however, I am concerned I may damage the metal trims covering them.

Is it as simple as removing the trim and the mirror and hey presto?! Am I likely to damage the trim in removing it?

Thanks in advance.

shiny_car

Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

ACE

My 75 had a damaged wind deflector on the driver's side.
i.e. Broken with a piece missing, leaving a jagged edge.
I could see no way to remove just the deflector, as it appeared to bonded into the rest of the trim. If I had simply removed it, there would have been a gap without trim. In the end I cut it off using a small fret saw, level with the trim so that it looked like the trim continued. The colour change (clear deflector to silver trim) was not noticeable because it was mostly in the window frame. End result was "respectable" but not perfect :-(
Good luck.

PS see you on the next Tour? ;-)

jazig.k

Quote from: shiny_car on July 20, 2017, 08:01:43 PM
I haven't done it (yet), but shouldn't be too hard. I have this for reference:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/milano-75-1985-1993/37807-removal-door-window-deflector-things.html

:)

Yep, that's my old thread... Wanna know what happened in the end? Nothing budged. I couldn't lever anything to move and was starting to wreck stuff. So I smashed out the plastic and cleaned the rail out of all the small pieces and left it. If I were to tackle it again, I'd just be putting new doors on that don't have deflectors...
There are 2 trims, one for deflectors and one without. So stuff removing 2 sets after that much struggle.

bteoh

Bummer, I was hoping there would be a simple solution as mine are broken as well and I wanted to take some off a spare car to replace. Didn't realise it was going to be a difficult job :(

GTVeloce

Ok, one door done and not so hard. Although I suggest wearing gloves to save your hands...

It took me about 2-2.5 hours but the second one will be half that time.

Note: I couldn't get it out with damaging it further so my method is probably not ideal if you want to re-install at a later date although it may be possible with a bit more care to preserve it.

First, remove the inner door skin, mirror cover and rubber surrounding the door (just enough to allow access to the area will do). Removed the mirror (I did drivers side so just two screws and a large nut but the passenger side will have electrics).

Then, using a small flat screwdriver or even better a plastic trim removal tool, work the section of trim off and out starting from the middle. It kind of has to flex (bow) out from the centre and then pulls up and out. There was some adhesive in a couple of places that you need to separate with the trim tool and a plastic spacer on the top close to the back end of the door. I didn't have any screws or other fixings holding it in.

Once it is out, the plastic part is held in with adhesive on one side only. I ran a sharp knife down it until it was free and out it came.

Installation was a reversal.

A couple of points to note: I did this about a month ago so am working off memory. Hopefully I didn't forget anything but if I did it would be fairly minor I think. Secondly, the finished product I am very happy with but it does mean the window is slightly recessed in the frame compared to where you would expect it to be. It also has a little wind noise at speeds over 80km/h. I have been meaning to try and fill the void with some foam to see if that helps alleviate the problem but it is not terrible.

When I get around to doing the passenger window I will take photos and update this thread.

jazig.k

Good work.

Don't suppose you were at Creswick RACV resort the other week?? We parked there just near a grey 75 twinspark with a Perth to Paris sticker...

shiny_car

Thanks for the update! Good to know how it's done.  8)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

GTVeloce

QuoteDon't suppose you were at Creswick RACV resort the other week?? We parked there just near a grey 75 twinspark with a Perth to Paris sticker...

Ha ha! Yes, that would have been me. Car is looking a bit sad at the moment but I am collecting most of the parts needed to tidy it up. Mechanically she is running well which is the main thing for me.

When I get around to the other side I will make sure I get some pics.