What is this part? (GTV 916)

Started by ugame, July 17, 2017, 04:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnl

Quote from: bazzbazz on July 18, 2017, 07:51:21 PM
The part in question I think you will find is a anti squeak shim, to stop the spring wearing directly on the metal plates that it mounts on when assembled.

And even though this item is broken at one end, they are not always a full circle.

Plenty of spring ends bear directly against a metal seat, with no wear issues, so I tend to doubt it's to protect against spring end or seating surface wear.

On the other hand, if the spring is not centered outside the damper tube (with some clearance between the spring ID and tube OD), then the spring might rub on one side of the tube? If so then it might (as I suggested) be necessary to have a centralising component?

Regards,
John.

johnl

Quote from: ugame on July 17, 2017, 09:07:41 PM

The side in question was sitting low before, which I assumed was because of the shock I'd been told showed signs of leaking.

A worn damper won't significantly affect the ride height. The cars weight is held up by the springs, not the dampers. Gas pressure (or lack of it) in the dampers isn't enough to make a significant difference to the ride height, other than maybe if the gas pressure is quite high (e.g. Bilstein) and the dampers fitted to a very light car.

Stock dampers are typically low pressure, just a few psi, not enough to lift the chassis appreciably. Even dampers like Koni are low pressure (Koni being 'twin tube' dampers, as are most stock dampers). It's only 'mono-tube' dampers such as Bilstein that use substantial pressure that might just be enough to make a very slight difference to ride height (i.e. carry some sprung weight, to a slight degree).

No to torquing shock bolts once dropped. I did them up as tight as they were before, and the replaced each wheel, and then dropped.

Any rubber suspension bush that is subject to torsion (e.g. 'Silentbloc' type bushes, etc) should be tightened only after the suspension is at static ride height. If you tighten it with the suspension at droop then the rubber will be 'pre-twisted' at ride height, so bump motion will 'twist' the rubber more than usual. The bush may wear prematurely...

I can't see how you'd get a torque wrench to them once the wheels are in placed and the car is dropped though. The bottom one maybe. But not the top one :/

Should I see if I can loosen them and re tighten, while the car is on the ground?

I would. Not every bolt and nut needs to be torqued with a torque wrench. Just do it up tight with an ordinary spanner.

Regards,
John.

poohbah

QuoteWhich JohnL is that? Can't be me, I'm no expert.

Don't be so modest John - I saw your Toyota suspension conversion thread, and the one about making your own ARBs etc.  Wayyyyy over my head. :)
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

poohbah

BTW - Ugame. There is a surefire way to work out the answer that won't cost a cent. Keep the part on you, and next time you are in Osborne Park, pop in to Cilebertis and ask Leo what, where, why and how much!
            1981 GTV

johnl

Quote from: poohbah on July 20, 2017, 09:12:28 PM
QuoteWhich JohnL is that? Can't be me, I'm no expert.

Don't be so modest John - I saw your Toyota suspension conversion thread, and the one about making your own ARBs etc.  Wayyyyy over my head. :)

Nice of you to say. I suppose 'expert' is a relative concept. I have an interest, am an amateur 'student' of suspension dynamics, know at least some stuff, and can't resist fiddling to make improvements to my cars, but people who really know get well paid for it. However, there is a lot I don't know, and likely never will because I don't possess the engineering training and mathematical skills required. Suspension theory is complex, to understate it...

Regards,
John.

ugame

Thanks again JohnL and Poobah.

My next plan was already to take the part in question in to Leo.

Been away in the UK for 3 weeks and now busy with work again, but should find time this week I think :)

My plan is actually, once the wife has recovered from the cost of my UK jaunt, I'll take the part and the car into Leo and let him sort it out :)

Mainly because that way he can check to see if something else is amiss that's causing one side to sit low.

All that said, I took her for a totally unecessary drive through the hills and then on to Brookton as I had today off.

Car is handling AMAZING!

Loving it!
Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS
Present: 2002 GTV 2.0 TS | 147 TS | 74 Super Beetle | Porsche Cayman S 987.1
Future: I've stopped looking. Wife says "No more Alfas" lol.

poohbah

Nothing beats an Italian tune up. Did the same on Saturday, with kids out to bindoon. Coincidentally, I just had lower front arms replaced, and l am always surprised at how much of a difference it makes. Though I still winced on a few sections of Great northern highway. Surely the worst maintained major road in Perth.
            1981 GTV

ugame

Quote from: poohbah on August 19, 2017, 01:34:50 AM
Nothing beats an Italian tune up. Did the same on Saturday, with kids out to bindoon. Coincidentally, I just had lower front arms replaced, and l am always surprised at how much of a difference it makes. Though I still winced on a few sections of Great northern highway. Surely the worst maintained major road in Perth.

No no no. The road is fine! It's speed that kills people. Honest.  ::)

I prefer the coast road to Jurian Bay but the thing that kills people there is apparently tourists pulling out of junctions without looking, as if they were still on a caravan park carpark.

Still my fave way to get north though.

The reason I "Needed" to go for a drive yesterday was 2 fold.....

1) Wake up the GTV from a 3 week slumber and
2) Remind myself that Perth does have some nice roads, as while in the UK, I took a road trip from Birmingham to Wales in a friends Porsche 997......

...but that will be another thread ;)
Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS

ugame

Quote from: johnl on July 20, 2017, 07:40:40 PM

I would. Not every bolt and nut needs to be torqued with a torque wrench. Just do it up tight with an ordinary spanner.

Regards,
John.

Yep that's essentially what I did hey.

The problem is, you really can't get to the top one once the wheel is on.

The bottom one, no problem.

ugame

oh oh oh!

Look what  just found by accident :D

So I'm guessing my part is item 9....possibly.

poohbah

Bingo.

RE great northern highway, it's the section near lake chattering where heavy trucks have worn deep ruts into the road that it is really bad. If you want a great drive, try the back way into toodyay via julimar Rd. Also lower chittering road is pretty good.
            1981 GTV

ugame

Quote from: poohbah on August 19, 2017, 03:27:11 PM
Bingo.

RE great northern highway, it's the section near lake chattering where heavy trucks have worn deep ruts into the road that it is really bad. If you want a great drive, try the back way into toodyay via julimar Rd. Also lower chittering road is pretty good.

There's a good pie shop in Toodyay so I've heard :D

I have experienced some good roads during the Annual Pasta Run event too.

ugame

popped into Chileberti's today and Dan doesn't know either lol.

So we're now wondering if it's potentially something my car has just picked up from the road haha.