What is this part? (GTV 916)

Started by ugame, July 17, 2017, 04:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugame

As per my suspension thread, I found this broken part at the base of the spring in the rear drivers side.

Wasn't attached. Was just sitting there at the base of the spring.

What is it?

Clearly it should be a full circle.

Where does it go and what is it's job?
Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS
Present: 2002 GTV 2.0 TS | 147 TS | 74 Super Beetle | Porsche Cayman S 987.1
Future: I've stopped looking. Wife says "No more Alfas" lol.

poohbah

Looks to me like it would sit at the top of the springs to help locate it in the bracket  and/or keep it quiet.

This GTV pic shows a ring sitting on top of the coil spring.

You should message JohnL - he is a bit of a suspension expert.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

ugame

Ah good spot!

Looks to me like the ring half way down in that pic. Is that the bump stop it's on?

I guess what I should have done was compare both sides while I had the wheels off. DOH! BUt this was the 2nd side I was working on, and I hate pulling wheels on/off, and jacking cars up/down lol.

It can wait till I get new springs in a month.

May inspect my bump stops and see what else I need.
Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS

poohbah

I wish I knew - I'm already way beyond my level of knowledge! I'm only guessing in the dark, but if it was busted/hanging loose on one side only, maybe that would help explain why the two sides were uneven?
            1981 GTV

ugame

possible for sure.

Just doesn't strike me as something that would be between the spring and any contacting surface, being made of plastic and all.

But anything is possible.

Will keep you posted.

ugame

btw sorry...above I meant to say "it CAN wait" ....not "can't" haha.

poohbah

1981 GTV

poohbah

BTW - could it be something like this? Sits inside rear strut top mount from 147/156/GT.
            1981 GTV

Citroënbender

Hard to see the picture well on a phone but I'd say a deformable spacer that goes between the coils either at the top or bottom of the spring. Bit like a bump stop in effect, and possibly why your car is biased in how it presently sits skewiff at the rear.

Also, you did torque up the bolts when both wheels were back on the ground and you'd bounced the car once or twice, didn't you?

ugame

Quote from: Citroënbender on July 17, 2017, 06:31:47 PM
Hard to see the picture well on a phone but I'd say a deformable spacer that goes between the coils either at the top or bottom of the spring. Bit like a bump stop in effect, and possibly why your car is biased in how it presently sits skewiff at the rear.

Also, you did torque up the bolts when both wheels were back on the ground and you'd bounced the car once or twice, didn't you?

The side in question was sitting low before, which I assumed was because of the shock I'd been told showed signs of leaking.

Yes to the bouncing.

Yes to tightening up wheel bolts once dropped. (always do)

No to torquing shock bolts once dropped. I did them up as tight as they were before, and the replaced each wheel, and then dropped.

I can't see how you'd get a torque wrench to them once the wheels are in placed and the car is dropped though. The bottom one maybe. But not the top one :/

Should I see if I can loosen them and re tighten, while the car is on the ground?

Re the mystery piece then, I guess I just get new springs anyway. May as well. And then get a replacement of this piece x2 and any other associated parts, and do the whole thing together (or handball it to my mechanic coz I hate the thought of doing springs after hearing horror stories.)

EDIT: Just re-read the procedure and the rear springs are not under tension so easy DIY job :D

Time to go shopping (again).

Citroënbender

The cheat's way to preload requires you to have the ARB disconnected until all else is done.

You start by measuring the wheel hub centreline to a reference point vertically above on the bodywork, with the car on level ground and some fuel (but not a tankful). Check both sides, make a note. Check another car if you like, for confirmation. Then get the car up, disconnect the ARB and start your job.

After the R&R is completed, carefully jack up one stub axle until you reach the "on ground" measurement for that end of the car. Be sure the car remains stable on its chassis stands! Torque up everything on that side, let the jack down gently and repeat on the opposite stub. Finally attach the ARB again, all the rest is as you already know how to do.

ugame

Quote from: Citroënbender on July 17, 2017, 10:30:10 PM
The cheat's way to preload requires you to have the ARB disconnected until all else is done.

You start by measuring the wheel hub centreline to a reference point vertically above on the bodywork, with the car on level ground and some fuel (but not a tankful). Check both sides, make a note. Check another car if you like, for confirmation. Then get the car up, disconnect the ARB and start your job.

After the R&R is completed, carefully jack up one stub axle until you reach the "on ground" measurement for that end of the car. Be sure the car remains stable on its chassis stands! Torque up everything on that side, let the jack down gently and repeat on the opposite stub. Finally attach the ARB again, all the rest is as you already know how to do.

Cheers mate. Just a noob question....by ARB, are you referring to the shock?
EDIT: After a quick google, I assume you mean the anti-roll bar?

The concept makes sense. Set the distances and THEN tighten it all up.

bazzbazz

The part in question I think you will find is a anti squeak shim, to stop the spring wearing directly on the metal plates that it mounts on when assembled.

And even though this item is broken at one end, they are not always a full circle.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

ugame

Quote from: bazzbazz on July 18, 2017, 07:51:21 PM
The part in question I think you will find is a anti squeak shim, to stop the spring wearing directly on the metal plates that it mounts on when assembled.

And even though this item is broken at one end, they are not always a full circle.

Cheers Bazz.

So same as the photo Poobah showed to a point.

Sounds like a fix it asap item to avoid ware and more costly damage.

Of course I've no idea how long it's been out of place.

Thanks everyone.

johnl

Quote from: poohbah on July 17, 2017, 04:59:50 PM
You should message JohnL - he is a bit of a suspension expert.

Which JohnL is that? Can't be me, I'm no expert.

I don't know what that broken part is, but maybe it's the remnant of of some sort of locating ring, i.e. if the spring is X internal diameter but the place it needs to rest in is significantly X- outside diameter, then maybe something is needed to centralise the spring?

Regards,
John.