JTS GT, V6 GT or Brera

Started by Brent, July 11, 2017, 09:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent

Hi All,

New to the forum. I own a lovely red 2008 JTS GT, but tossing up if to sell and buy a V6 GT or even a Brera, or spend a little more on some up grades, exhaust, tune, even some suspension work, have it on the market but really have not made a big effort to sell as it is in such good shape. I do love to the light feel of the JTS and is low Klms and as I am the second owner it still feels great. Not having owned the V6 before would love any feedback on the ownership of one, cost, reward etc. I have owned a 147 prior to this and loved it also and got many good years driving it. So any thoughts?

Thanks in advance. 

poohbah

Go the V6 GT, last of the Busso powered Alfas. You will get what the fuss is all about. One of the best sounding engines in world with less than 8 cylinders. The V6 in Brera is the replacement GM derived block.

Make great cruisers, and not too thirsty. My 99 2.5 averages about 10L/100km, and that's driving it every day in peak hour traffic, hour each way.

I doubt general maintenance costs would be too different from your JTS.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

V AR 164

Hey mate,

Couldn't agree more with what was said by poohbah.

The only thing is that the V6 drinks a lot of petrol in comparison to the 4 cylinders. If you drive them quietly it's not too bad but I highly doubt you will drive in Eco mode because of the awesome power and sound.

Also just know that every 3 years or 60,000kms a timing belt change is due on the V6's.

The JTS cars are awesome don't get me wrong, but with the money you would put into trying to make it faster, a V6 could be bought and still would most likely be faster than a modified JTS.

In conclusion, just go out and take a Busso for a spin, you won't be disappointed.

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Brent

Thanks poohbah and V AR 164, from reading your replies it confirms what my gut is telling me, guess I just have to get motivated more to sell the JTS, still brings a smile though each time I open the garage. I did set a limit that if it did not sell by Aug (been on the market for 2 months) I would keep it but may re think that.

You both have convinced me to go the GT for sure, while the Brera is a beautiful car (as with the GT) the GT has less GM in it, which is appealing to me. The V6 for me is not even about speed, (already had a ticket in the GT) more I guess the note and from what I have read one of the best engines ever, just did not know if it was reality or hype.

Mind you though do not want to give it away thus if no buyers will possibly put the plan on hold and start some upgrades on the JTS. time will tell.

Many thanks again and look forward to being in the forums more. 

poohbah

Best of luck Brent. Hope you find a buyer for your JTS and a good GT V6 at the right price soon. I reckon all Alfa lovers should own a Busso at least once.

I reckon its a shame they never put the Busso in the Brera - in my eyes its one of the most beautiful cars released in the last 10 years.

BTW - just had a look at my local Alfa workshop, which also sells vehicles, and didn't realise the huge price difference between JTS and 3.2 GTs. They have a 2007 JTS GT (90,000km) for sale for $11k and a 2010 GT V6 (only 14,000km) for $33k!
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Brent

Hi Poohbah,

I agree the Brera is beautiful, and will be one of Alfas greats for style, but also love the GTs shape plus I am 194cm tall so JUST fit the Brera. I think I have my GT priced right at 10.5k ono but only have been offered 7-8k so far and feel it is worth more than that, well to me at least lol. There is a bit of a difference for the V6 for sure but looking at car sales some good buys for the GT V6 out there but have 120k to 140k+ on the clock or 2004 or both. Still happy to take on but will need to give a good look over.

I find the 2010 versions to be very pricey as they are I believe to 100yr anniversary models as well.

I think I will stick to the plan an if not sold by the end of Aug just plan to own the JTS for awhile and re visit the V6 in a few years. Up to the Alfa gods now :)   

bazzbazz

Quote from: Brent on July 12, 2017, 05:29:55 PM
I find the 2010 versions to be very pricey as they are I believe to 100yr anniversary models as well.

I know of a 100yr anniversary model GT with the 3.2L busso who may be interested in selling his at a good price.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Brent

Thanks for the heads up Baz, at this stage I have to sell mine first thus will loop back once/if this happens.

Many thanks