Rear suspension - Toyota conversion...

Started by johnl, July 11, 2017, 03:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bazzbazz

Quote from: johnl on March 05, 2018, 02:26:58 PM
What makes the final version of the upper 'wishbones' better than the earlier ones?

The latter arms are a little lighter & had narrower necks around the ball joint as the revised TRW units do. Geometry is unchanged. (correct me if I am wrong)

As for the forks, the main difference is weight and ease of production, Johns will use a Torx Bolt that fixes to a threaded hole in the fork itself to attach to the shock, where DVs will use the standard bolt & nut.

One thing I should point out, production continuity is NOT something Alfa Romeo is renowned for.  ::)   ;)

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Divano Veloce

Hi all,

i've started a thread for suspension/tuning here:

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=18059.0

Please use this thread to continue the discussion about overall suspension and tuning.

Cheers, Matt

1968 Berlina TS
1989 75 TS
1990 75 TS
2007 147 JTD

johnl

Quote from: bazzbazz on March 05, 2018, 04:12:48 PM
The latter arms are a little lighter & had narrower necks around the ball joint as the revised TRW units do. Geometry is unchanged. (correct me if I am wrong)

So if these are 'the' differences, then the answer seems to be that for all practical purposes there is no significant difference between the earlier and later upper wishbones...?

Quote from: bazzbazz on March 05, 2018, 04:12:48 PM
As for the forks, the main difference is weight and ease of production, Johns will use a Torx Bolt that fixes to a threaded hole in the fork itself to attach to the shock, where DVs will use the standard bolt & nut.

One thing I should point out, production continuity is NOT something Alfa Romeo is renowned for.

Again it seems as if any difference is so slight as to make no practical difference, except maybe for a race car where any reduction in unsprung weight is a 'good thing' so the aluminium forks would be the ideal way to go...?

Without going outside to double check (in the rain), from memory I'm pretty sure my forks use hex headed Allen bolts and nuts, and not Torx bolts and nuts. This might support your point re production continuity...

Regards,
John.

bazzbazz

Depends on if yours is a facelift 147 and it's production date. I assumed yours was, and a later model.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

johnl

Quote from: bazzbazz on March 05, 2018, 09:22:55 PM
Depends on if yours is a facelift 147 and it's production date. I assumed yours was, and a later model.

Mine is a non facelift 03 build.

Regards,
John.