Upper suspension arm bolt extraction

Started by sudsy, July 09, 2017, 12:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sudsy

So yes as the title indicates. I'm in the process of renewing my front upper suspension arm bushes.. Everything released except the main inner bolt does not want to shift .. nut is off .. and there is no tension on the arm..tried a bit of percussion to slide bolt out, but nothing.. is there a vulcan nerve pinch that I need to employ?  Maybe patiently screw the bolt out at 1/4 turn a go with continued pressure somehow applied to the free end. Do these bolts get seized in the bushes ?
Gone not forgotten
74 Sud Ti
74 Sud L
74 Alfetta
79 Sud 1.5 Ti
78 GTV
86 75 2.5

Current
79 GTV
79 Alfetta

sudsy

Just had another go mid Canberra winters day.  Bolt is very stuck. Turning the bolt head rotates the whole upper arm . Tried locking the socket handle and rotating arm against bolt but obviously the bushes end up taking the movement 😵 Am I missing something here? Not enough room to cut the bolt. Too close to fuel to apply heat. Brains trust please Any advice advice even if it is give up and take it to someone. I'd love that justification 😝
Gone not forgotten
74 Sud Ti
74 Sud L
74 Alfetta
79 Sud 1.5 Ti
78 GTV
86 75 2.5

Current
79 GTV
79 Alfetta

sudsy

Just some pics for same of clarity. Haven't tried LHS yet.
Gone not forgotten
74 Sud Ti
74 Sud L
74 Alfetta
79 Sud 1.5 Ti
78 GTV
86 75 2.5

Current
79 GTV
79 Alfetta

Mick A

This is very common. You'll need to cut the bolt, I usually use an air hacksaw.

Enjoy!

sudsy

Quote from: Mick A on July 09, 2017, 08:31:02 PM
This is very common. You'll need to cut the bolt, I usually use an air hacksaw.

Enjoy!

Thank you. I like a definitive answer like that !!
Was creating a clear path today for a metre long bar that would protrude from front of car giving plenty of room for a wack with sledgehammer..But now On your advice Im Not going down that route anymore.
The Bush is not entirely cactus. So will bolt it back up and give the job to my local guy when I get him to check and adjust torsion bars for correct ride height.
Gone not forgotten
74 Sud Ti
74 Sud L
74 Alfetta
79 Sud 1.5 Ti
78 GTV
86 75 2.5

Current
79 GTV
79 Alfetta