Alfetta non AC heater hose routing

Started by sudsy, July 06, 2017, 07:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sudsy

Ok
So not much feed back regarding my rubbing tyres.  But....
Now that I have a complete and ready to install NON AC heater box,  I am trying to get right which holes in the firewall should the heater box hoses go. There's one big hole that I assume takes at least one of the hoses albeit with bespoke grommet. Question. Do both heater box hoses go through here ?  Or does the lower hose go through the lower currently blanked off hole. I think not cos it will most likely baulk the throttle linkage. That said why is this hole there in the first instance.  Can't find fire wall pix to confirm.  Some input would be appreciated..
Thanks peeps

Edit. Just realised that the lower hole is most likely for a LHD config..correct???
Gone not forgotten
74 Sud Ti
74 Sud L
74 Alfetta
79 Sud 1.5 Ti
78 GTV
86 75 2.5

Current
79 GTV
79 Alfetta

bonno

Hi Sudsy
Have taken pics of the configuration of heater hoses on my 83 GTV4. The heater hoses go on either side of the firewall (refer to pics), with hose No 1 coming from water pump and routed thru on DS, whilst Hose 2 goes from inlet manifold rail to Passenger side. Do not know what the hole utilizing  blanking plug is for, maybe used on GTV6 or other variants sold O/S.
cheers
bonno

bonno

Sudsy
Here is the 4 and last pic which I was unable to upload with my previous post due to size limit.
Cheers
bonno

sudsy

Thank you for those picx Bonno. Odd thing though is that my heater box has both inlet and outlet on the driver's  side and both pointing straight ahead. The car is a non AC 79. It wouldn't make much sense to me to route the hose from the water pump return hose all the way across the engine bay fire wall then all the way back across the cabin side fire wall only to then have to have a 90 elbow connector to the heater box. Let alone where it would fit.  PO retrofitted AC and dispensed with any  heater (Townsville car ) However not withstanding no heater the AC installation was appalling hence the need to rip it out and restore to original spec. "Rust" free metal bumper  116s  a bit thin on the ground these days, so I think it respectful to reapply some originality where practical. I also think the original console looks considerably better than the play skool GTV AC console design. Haynes book of lies only shows a schematic, however it does appear to indicate both pipes entering on RHS (driver's in Oz)
Gone not forgotten
74 Sud Ti
74 Sud L
74 Alfetta
79 Sud 1.5 Ti
78 GTV
86 75 2.5

Current
79 GTV
79 Alfetta

sudsy

Some pics
Gone not forgotten
74 Sud Ti
74 Sud L
74 Alfetta
79 Sud 1.5 Ti
78 GTV
86 75 2.5

Current
79 GTV
79 Alfetta

bonno

Hi sudsy
Not familiar with the steel bumper GTV model involving heater hose configuration, but the firewall configurations are definitely different as can be seen on the photos. I don’t see a problem in routing both hoses through the existing hole with an appropriate figure 8 rubber grommet, thus allowing connection to the heater coil. I would just clarify this aspect with the same model vehicle just to be sure.

sudsy

Quote from: bonno on July 10, 2017, 05:15:51 PM
Hi sudsy
Not familiar with the steel bumper GTV model involving heater hose configuration, but the firewall configurations are definitely different as can be seen on the photos. I don't see a problem in routing both hoses through the existing hole with an appropriate figure 8 rubber grommet, thus allowing connection to the heater coil. I would just clarify this aspect with the same model vehicle just to be sure.

That's right. Common sense told me a figure 8 grommet the way to go. Peter from Canberra chapter invited me to tech night and dinner tomorrow. I'll go if I can but the odds of pre 80s Alfetta showing are negligible. 😎
We've had three 74-78 Alfetta a million years ago but my memory for heater hose path escapes me !!
Thanks anyway. I'll post my results
Gone not forgotten
74 Sud Ti
74 Sud L
74 Alfetta
79 Sud 1.5 Ti
78 GTV
86 75 2.5

Current
79 GTV
79 Alfetta

sudsy