147T - OVERHEATING

Started by Richard-Lee, June 21, 2017, 04:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard-Lee

Hello everyone - have just joined this forum, have read your posts many times, lots of valuable advice. I bought a 147T 2 litre about six months ago - 95000 klms on it, body and interior immaculate, engine clean enough to eat lunch from. Last night suddenly warning message came up - engine max temp reached. Stopped for a while and restarted drove to destination. Filled water up, tap water only, after six hours water level low again.  Topped up and drove home about 10klms, did not overheat. After another six hours just sitting water level low again.  Again with plain water. No visible leaks anywhere, no puddles underneath. The water was very dirty. I am not a mechanic, nowhere to do work either, will be taking to workshop.  Will post results when fixed. Thinking thermostat.

GTR27

Have you checked the oil? If it's milky might indicate where it was going (head gasket)

Richard-Lee

Thank you - yes have checked the oil, still same clear as always - no signs of water in oil. One thing I did not mention - there appears to be a fair bit more (than usual) clear exhaust fumes ie like steam etc, however it is cold here and after about 15 minutes it appears to go away.  The water is disappearing even when the motor is off and the car is standing flat - no puddles underneath, no signs of leaks around the hoses. No loss of power from engine either.

GTR27

Wet passenger foot well? Could also be a heater core. Pin hole leak on a house could also cause those symptoms

Hopefully mechanic identifies what's wrong and it's an easy/cheap fix.

Mick A

Gday.

Unfortunately from what you've described it sounds like a head gasket.

The first time you start it in the morning does the engine crank normally or does it crank slowly at first then start and run rough?

Mick.

Richard-Lee

Good day Mick - my fears are head gasket, workshop had a quick look this morning, they are unsure will be pressure testing etc next Tuesday - no it starts perfectly. no rough idle or running. Will post results - appreciate all advice - thanks. Engine water very rusty? Cannot explain that.

Richard-Lee

Hi Mick,   Had the 147T pressure tested at Bridgestone Select Hobart (they look after my cars, Merc, Audi, Polo and Nissan BRC160 - they have done for years).  Test results are a cracked head on the 147T.  Not sure where to go from here but will not be repairing the car, far too costly for the age of car estimated about $3000 but until motor is opened up anything is possible. Body on car very good, minor dent on front (near grill) red interior looks like its hardly been used. Again thanks to all for the suggestions - I was fearing a head gasket at worst!!!

Citroënbender

That's a shame. Can't get a warranted head and bits over from the mainland? Car sounds too good to wreck out.

Richard-Lee

Hi there - the car is really too good to wreck - body and interior like new.  To repair the motor as I cant do it myself, well the sky's the limit - what is else is wrong wont know until opening it up. Full service history in folder in car - but it had a replacement water pump at about 60k, was it allowed to cook then. We have used some Chem-weld as a temporary measure and all seems fine. That is a very short term fix and as the motor is not going to be repaired it can't do much harm.  I would not off load this car in this condition on an unsuspecting buyer - if I was to sell I would make sure they knew the problem.  My mechanic's shop is Bridgestone Select in Moonah Hobart, really good use them for almost everything, except some special work on the Merc.  We have discussed a second hand motor from Victoria, one business has several, below 100k about $1200, above 100k $900. Plus freight and labour. The mechanic would source this motor and fit it - but estimated quote for labour is 10 hours. Thank for the reply.  Regards

poohbah

Plenty of 2nd hand motors on eBay for less, if you want to chance it. Regardless if the rest of the car is in good Nick, spending $2K on decent replacement motor and fitting is still cheaper than buying another car.

Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Richard-Lee

Thank you and have contacted one of the dealers on Ebay, but that's a chance, be happier to pay a bit more with dealer (mechanic) support...  they priced a motor off Ebay, same dealer and same price as the dealer offered me - no doubt they may get a discount (happy with that) they can discuss with the seller what is what with the motor...    The car is not my main transport, but would like it working properly.   Appreciate your input - thanks and regards

poohbah

Fair enough, and glad you are going to stick with the 147. All the best.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Citroënbender

Make sure any replacement motor is not a mutt, I have been caught this way - bought an advertised low mileage car (stat write-off) which - upon dismantling - had clearly chucked a belt sometime and the engine was a hotch-potch of different age parts. Someone with more knowledge of engine numbers can probably advise of what numerical ranges fall into the oil burner category too.

Ten hours estimate sounds pretty reasonable for an "all marques" workshop, hopefully they have a set of Ribe bits. I'm sure some people can do it a bit faster but you'd possibly pay a higher wage too. Would be ideal to scope the clutch and slave cylinder for remaining lifespan while things are in motion.

Only "gotcha" I found with the TS motors was needing to preload the engine before tightening the lateral mounts, else it canted back towards the firewall excessively.

Richard-Lee

Re 147T overheating - a cracked head was diagnosed as the overheating problem, a reputable Hobart workshop, Bridgestone select are working with me to source a good second hand motor. Looks like we have been successful obtaining one. BS are making sure all is good there. In the interim we have place ChemWeld in my motor, all symptoms of overheating have gone, no loss of water, no exhaust steam, no water in oil etc - we know this is only temporary.  However one very strange thing is happening, the car goes several days without an issue, but all of a sudden it will seem to use excess amounts of petrol, even when just sitting idling in my yard. Today I watched the petrol gauge drop about a quarter of a tank in 15 minutes when idling. Extreme cold start, engine went to normal temp within that 15 minutes - no rough idle, no petrol smells around the engine, no exhaust petrol smells and cannot detect leaks. Anyone with any ideas as am I missing something here, why this is happening?  Thanks appreciate any input.  Regards

bonno

Hi Richard
Is it definitely chewing up petrol as described or could it be a faulty gauge or sending unit??  Maybe worth a look at electric fuel pump located under the back seat for problem as the sending unit is incorporated as part of the fuel pump. There a several checks that can be carried out to isolate the problem with either the gauge or sending unit which have been raised previously on this forum at the following link.
http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17157.msg98243#msg98243
cheers
bonno