147T - OVERHEATING

Started by Richard-Lee, June 21, 2017, 04:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroënbender

I'd be looking at the sender unit for that, definitely. The sender lockring is not very unusual, I'm confident the workshop should have a suitable tool.

bonno

Recently had to replace electric fuel pump on my 156 JTS and was quite a simple job. The lock ring can be unscrewed using a piece of timber and hammer. If the sender unit is faulty, which more than likely it is, then you will need to replace the entire electric pump. I purchased mine thru e-bay at a modest price of under $300. One very important note if you plan on undertaking this work is to DISCONNECT the battery, as any electrical spark will result in catastrophic consequences.

Richard-Lee

Hi Bonno - Appreciate your reply, it is chewing up petrol extremely quick, but also now suspect you are correct could be a fault in gauge or sender unit.  At the moment wont be touching anything as they vehicle has a cracked head - my mechanic as a temporary measure has tried Chemi-weld, at my request. The vehicle has down over 2000 klms since adding this. No loss of water or any other indication of problem (I know this is not a permanent solution). This car is not my main drive so I will hold out as long as possible without expensive repairs. I appreciate all offers of advice and assistance from this forum, now knowing my problems are not unique.  This is my first Alfa and it wont be my last. Thanks again Richard-Lee

Mick A

I will just correct some incorrect information that has been posted here.

The sender unit itself is very small and clips onto the body of the main pump. It can be replaced without replacing the entire pump.

However, you don't seem to be able to buy one on it's own. I would suggest try a wreckers they may have a pump which is broken but the sender is fine so they might sell separately.

Mick.

bazzbazz

As an add to micks comments, don't try to fix the sender unit itself, if you can get it working again it will ALWAYS fail again soon after.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

Bazz,

What do you reckon actually fails permanently after a tickle-up on the senders? Not being argumentative, genuinely curious!

bazzbazz

The sender is nothing more than a copper wiper arm running across carbon tracks. They fail due to the carbon track wearing through or the wiper arm losing tension. Once the arm loses tension, you can re tweak it, but it always fails again soon after.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroënbender

Gotcha.

I've sometimes kinked the wiping contact so it doesn't inscribe on the original arc, but is a mil or so inboard.

Citroënbender

The tickled-up 147 sender was a complete failure. I'd reprofiled the wiper pads, lightly cleaned the resistive track, it read 50km greater range when reassembled but then ran out in the Bunnies car park showing over half a tank left. My dearest person was quite forgiving of my unsuccessful efforts, consoling themselves with a brace of sausage sangers from the fundraiser barbie while waiting for the RAC to arrive.

Have found "just sender" Bosch units from cars245 new on Fleabay but they're still modestly dear. Part numbers 1 582 980 041 and 1 582 980 076. However, at 207K, I'm thinking a whole new OEM unit could be good buying.

bazzbazz

Quote from: Citroënbender on July 27, 2017, 07:53:16 PM
The tickled-up 147 sender was a complete failure.

Ahem ! 

I COULD say I told you so . . . . but that could be considered somewhat self serving . . . . so I won't.

;D
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroënbender

You did say so; there's no point me pretending you didn't. 😛

By contrast the two (VDO) Peugeot units I've "serviced" both still work reliably.

Hopefully our cobber down south is making headway on his engine swap.

Craig_m67

Cracked head, as opposed to just a head gasket failure.. How unusual, where did it crack?
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Citroënbender

Quote from: Richard-Lee on July 15, 2017, 10:33:44 AM
...The vehicle has down over 2000 klms since adding this. No loss of water or any other indication of problem (I know this is not a permanent solution). This car is not my main drive so I will hold out as long as possible without expensive repairs.
How is it travelling now, in light of the Chemi-Weld repair?

Richard-Lee

Hi - have just done a 100k run in the car - still using Chemi-Weld, no sign of overheating or water loss at all, however water is very dirty.  The mechanics said to leave this alone for the time being. We may try a second lot of Chemi-Weld when and if the first lots fails, mechanic assures me it is not a permanent fix, which I understand.  Engine was due for an oil change two days ago, for the small cost (apart from the oil price) this was done. The old oil showed no signs of any major issues. Hoping an oil change may prolong the inevitable...  The car does not do a high mileage as it is used infrequently, but I do love this type of Alfa and the bodywork and interior is almost showroom condition. 
Should I decide to sell the car somewhere soon, it will be running well and the new owners will be told what is wrong - even though the selling price will be less, I would be personally more happy if they were aware of any issues.  We keep posting any developments.

Citroënbender

Glad it's hanging in there.  Not a common car on the island; I only knew of two in Launceston, so there's probably less than twenty in the whole state...