New member, first time alfa owner 159 Brisbane

Started by GTR27, June 18, 2017, 05:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTR27

Hello all, new member, first time alfa owner (pickup next friday). The wife has been bugging me for another car for a while. She currently has a 05 Honda jazz, and wanted something euro (we have a 3yo Skoda Octavia that we love) with a bit of flair. We were looking at 3 series beemers, but I decided to show her some 159's and she fell in love.

While black with tan leather would have been ideal, we found a good one here in QLD. It's a v6 AWD one - probably not the best choice for inner city / commuting, but I figured we dont do that many k's, so horrid economy is OK if the car is a joy to drive :)

I read loads about 159's and what to look for before actually inspecting a few, and the one we have picked up seems fairly tidy. I always do a full service whenever I buy a second hand car, and already have a list of items I plan on doing the first week or two I get it (when you read the list below, it's about two weekends worth of work for me to do)

Engine Oil & filter (doing an oil flush first with "cheap" oil first)
Air filter
Gearbox oil
Diff oil
Coolant drain and flush
Once I get the car home, i'll also fully inspect the brakes (and possibly paint the front calipers racing red lol) - so fluid at the least, but possibly pads also. (it's a ti, so brembos)
I'll investigate how hard fuel filter is to do and also give that a crack if not too difficult.
Spark plugs (change to iridium)
4 x new tyres (Michelin PS4's)
Tidy up gutter rash on rims
Will probably run some seafoam (or equivalent) through the intake also

Full interior and exterior detail, including a paint correction (I do detailing as a hobby)

Once all that stuff is done and we own it for a bit, i'll have a good look at the suspension and see how it's all travelling. Is there any other specific preventative maintenance that would be good to do?

I bought it knowing it needs tyres and the above maintenance at the least (it has log books / service history, but I like to know it's all been done "properly" if you know what I mean) and have a "in case something breaks" fund waiting to go (never owned an alfa before and understand the 159 is pretty good, but plan for the worst and all that)

So all the technical stuff aside, joined a forum hoping to gain some specific knowledge and be part of the club so to speak! I have already seen that there are a few decent alfa guys getting around various forums, so if I run into trouble at least I know there's quite a few people out there that can help!

bonno

Hi GTR27
Welcome aboard and congratulations on the purchase of your 159 V6, which I am sure you will enjoy. What you identified as work to be undertaking is quite comprehensive, but as a priority just check on when the timing belt was last changed and if it is approaching 60K or 3 years then this needs to be done ASAP. A snapped timing belt would result in catastrophic failure (bent valve/s, etc) and thousands of dollars to repair. Aside from this, this forum provides you the opportunity to seek assistance/advice on the upkeep of your vehicle as well as other benefits such as general information on the AR marque. Your local AROCA club provides the opportunity to meet local members on gathering/events organised at both the local and National level, via the club calendar. When you get the opportunity a picture of your 159 would be great refer to sticky notes on how to upload images on photos and video category.
cheers
bonno

GTR27

Thanks! From what I could see, it's a chain not a belt and only needs changing when warning lights come on. Doesn't make any chain related board that I could hear, but time will tell!

Once I get it all tidied up, I'll take some happy snaps and post them up :)

I'll be comfortable once I know all the service items are done and everything is up to date :)

bonno

Sorry about that and it appears you have done your research on the model prior to purchase.

Colin Edwards

Hi GTR27,
Good move to replace the plugs.  My 159 V6 managed to continue to run ok on plugs with virtually non-existent electrodes!! 
The 3.2 V6 definitely features chain driven cams.  Use the lowest NOACK / least volatile engine oil you can find and change it and the filter every 10,000klm
I thought all 159 Ti's featured red brake calipers front and rear?
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

GTR27

The one I got doesn't have a q4 badge either but certainly had a rear diff (got under the car and checked). Maybe the calipers were just filthy haha.

Planning on oil changes every year (which is less than 10k) with full synth. Penrite hpr5 is what the first two changes will be. I have 2 new ryco synthetic filters. In two minds about an actual oil flush. My alternative is change the oil now, then again in 2-3k to "flush" any gunk out gradually so as to not block any oil galleries.

Gearbox I'll do also as it was certainly notchy when cold but got better as I drove which seems to be a common complaint that penrite gl5 gear oil apparently fixes? Will do the gearbox/transaxle and rear diff at the same time (same oil).

Coolant is the other costly flush ~$220 for coolant plus a flush but aside from that I can't think of any other genuine service item I've missed. If there is something specific let me know!

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

GTR27

Thanks Baz! I'm sure if I screw anything up, you'll be my first call ha ha 😂😂

Just as a point of interest, how much (ball park) for a timing chain installed? With new tensioners/guides etc. I'm assuming water pump done at the same time?

Also, I need top replace tyres and they are crazy expensive. Michelin pilot super sport seem to be the ones I'd get (don't like pirelli car tyres much) and there isn't much in that size/load rating available. All 450-550/tyre

GTR27

Wife picked it up today. Has been given a clean and her personalised plates put on.

I was sick today, but will hook into all the service items tomorrow.

So far I have

10L of penrite HPR5
oil flush
2 x Ryco "synthetic" oil filters
New drain plug/washer
K&N Air filter (stock was almost $60 a K&N was 118)
6 x NGK iridium plugs
Intake gasket (should arrive monday)
2 x 500ml castrol dot 4 brake fluid
Brake cleaner
MAF cleaner
Nulon foaming air intake cleaner (de carbons valves)
Cabin air filter (for A/C)

Tomorrow will also pick up
5L of Penrite GL-5 synthetic gear oil (for gearbox/transaxle and rear diff)
Radiator flush
Penrite OAT radiator coolant

I might get baz to flush the brakes and clutch and do the power steering also at the same time (my bleeder is shit, and it's hard to do by yourself!) but all the rest of it ill hook into. Wont be able to do the plugs till the new gaskets turn up, but that will be a next weekend job.

Will probably spray down the engine bay and underneath with degreaser then all purpose cleaner (APC) before I start.

Theres some plastic on the inside that has some awful sticky residue, but a test spot with some 303 aerospace and a terry towel rag got it all off/clean with a bit of elbow grease. So will have to give the interior a solid once over tomorrow too (with some duragloss leather shampoo and conditioner so it smells great)

Overall, wife is ecstatic with the car, loves it to bits. Fingers crossed it proves to be semi reliable once i've done basically every single service item in it.

Darryl

Hi and welcome from another 159 Q4 owner. Sounds like you have the essentials in hand.

Quote from: GTR27 on June 19, 2017, 07:21:56 PM
Also, I need top replace tyres and they are crazy expensive. Michelin pilot super sport seem to be the ones I'd get (don't like pirelli car tyres much) and there isn't much in that size/load rating available. All 450-550/tyre

On the 19" Ti rims you can run 245/40R19s which are more common size, so cheaper (you can get Bridgestone RE003s for about $300 - $350 a corner - or pretty good tyres for $100 less). In any case gives you plenty of options re how much you want to spend and what you want to spend it on (grip, life....). You can even buy tyres from K-mart ;D ...

poohbah

Welcome to the asylum mate. She looks a beauty. You're also lucky to have Bazz in reasonable proximity.

For what its worth, my only advice (even though the 3.2L V6 is entirely unrelated to the 2.5L Busso) is to spend $30 on a fire extinguisher and stash it under the front passenger seat. 99.9% chance you'll never need it, but if you are in the 0.1% (like me) you'll be thankful.

And check your fuel injectors and fuel rail from time to time to make sure there are no leaks...
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

GTR27

Quote from: Darryl on June 23, 2017, 07:19:26 PM
Hi and welcome from another 159 Q4 owner. Sounds like you have the essentials in hand.

On the 19" Ti rims you can run 245/40R19s which are more common size, so cheaper (you can get Bridgestone RE003s for about $300 - $350 a corner - or pretty good tyres for $100 less). In any case gives you plenty of options re how much you want to spend and what you want to spend it on (grip, life....). You can even buy tyres from K-mart ;D ...

Good news, i've already put 245/40/19 98Y Michelin Pilot sport 4 tyres x 4 on  :D ;D

I'll have a look at various car sized fire extinguishers, but the car is already very tiny inside (our jazz had more interior room) so would likely put it in the boot. Plus, insurance :)

I'll be going over it thoroughly tomorrow, so will make sure to double check all the fuel system and make sure there are no perished/leaking items.

Also, I figured out what the sticky plastics were. It looks like someone tried to grease the seat rails, and just sprayed crap all down the inside of the seat and never cleaned it off. It has picked up dust/hair and has turned into a sludge, but it does wipe off (with extreme effort). Overall though, car is pretty clean inside and out  :)

poohbah

Fair enough - though I can't imagine there is any less room in a 159 than beneath the front of the passenger seat in my 156 (where I can reach it from my seat. When my engine bay went up, I wouldn't have had time to get to the boot first - if I'd had a dangblasted fire extinguisher then, that is  ;D)
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

GTR27

Well I completed oil & filter, air filter (K&N), MAF clean, coolant drain, flush and refill with the correct red OAT stuff and an engine bay/trans degrease. Waiting for gearbox oil to arrive (had to order it as no one stocks that particular one - penrite 75w-85w full synth GL5 pro gear, then will attempt transaxle and rear diff next weekend. intake manifold gaskets should also arrive during the week, so will also do plugs at the same time.

Italians certainly don't make cars easy to service - however it does have one of the biggest air filters ive ever seen on a car (and one of the smallest oil filters lol)