Regional Pricing (AKA Gouging)

Started by Citroënbender, June 16, 2017, 03:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroënbender

I'm almost in need of Preparation H... $100 labour to press in a wheel bearing, when supplied well in advance with a cleaned hub carrier and the replacement bearing. IMO it's a $60 job, give or take the GST.

Helps me remember why I became largely self sufficient mechanically in another city.

105gta

so true! $100 an hour is cheap, considering the cost of the building and the outlay for the machinery and equipment they have at hand for these one off random jobs.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (WIP)
1985 GTV6 (WIP)

Citroënbender

That would perhaps be well and good if there were anything challenging about it. I don't think there is really, though. Every proper workshop I've haunted has included a press (usually one that leaks hydraulic oil copiously) and a large crate of two of expired bearing outer shells, bits of steel pipe, old wet liners, pieces of torsion bar, etc etc to accomodate the odd jobs. That's in addition to spare vee blocks and assorted bearing splitters. It's rare you can't make a press job work with this sort of armour.

I'll illuminate the story after I dropped a scrubbed clean hub carrier, fully dismantled save for the old bearing and axle flange and the new European made bearing kit (boxed) on their counter.

I was told it should be done by about five PM that day. Later than I'd like, but I figured Sunday would be fine for reassembling it in the residential parking bay where I'd stood the car. I duly fronted the counter at five, to see my bare hub carrier sitting there. No bearing fitted.

The bearing kit I supplied was apparently the wrong one. I'll put that down to crossed wires with the nice bloke who got it to me in record time.

In the process of discovering this, the workshop had not actually started by comparing the two, but had bullied the axle flange out - there are hammer marks on it. Then they had sliced through the outboard inner race with a slitting disc - not just enough to crack it with a cold chisel but enough to cut into the axle flange more than a millimetre. I'll post photos in a day or so. In doing it, they also deeply marred and upset the flange outer face with the jaws of their vice.

Then they'd mounted into the hub carrier, the new bearing. I noted marks where one of the inner races had evidently been dropped onto a hard surface (one presumes the workshop floor) and the carrier's receiving counterbore had not been buffed free of residual oxidisation - so they'd forced the new race in. Only now had they discovered the bearing's inner bore was different, so they bashed it out again and put the bits in the original box I supplied it in.

As of tonight I have a damaged axle flange - would be interesting to see if Bazz thinks it's unsafe to refit, and need to source a new, correct, bearing tomorrow.

Craig_m67

Are we talking fronts, for a 156/147/GT
I can do it, so can you with a 6tonne press from super cheap.

*lemme know where you buy you're bearing from locally, I need to press out my 330Brembo uprights from the hub flanges, the splines were not correct for a JTD (you can have them if you want.. Never installed on a wheel)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Citroënbender

I did canvass the BYO press option!

Trouble is, in a nutshell what I'm trying to do is establish a sort of "beachhead" for work in this region, whilst not having much permanently available space. I can leave a car here (the 147 Selespeed), transfer it to be locally registered, and stash a small crate of tools but that's pretty much it. I'd have to donate the press to the chap next door's shed and maintain good terms with him.

Bearings I usually shop around. Alfred in Williamstown was cheapest for the misfits but as mentioned they were the larger ID and thus no good in my application. Waiting to hear from a couple of people contacted over the weekend.

Will ponder your parts offer and message Monday AM. :-)

aggie57

Stating the bleeding obvious, if you don't have a place to work or setup your gear so you can do your own work then you should expect to pay more to others who do. It's not rocket science. Maybe this is more about managing expectations than the cost of an hours labour.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Paul Gulliver

Have you checked a brain surgeon's hourly rate lately. Expensive, but usually worth it. A mechanic said to me some of the hardest fixes they have had were bearing that have been pressed on or in  the wrong way , very hard to remove.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Citroënbender

Yes, perhaps I have high expectations in the eyes of some people. I'm fortunate in being graced with opportunities and relatively good health through my life; this allows me to work as preferred tradesman to quite a few good clients because I like to meet or exceed their expectations.

If something is surprisingly expensive (in my eyes) I prefer being able to say that the item or service was well rendered nonetheless. Sometimes you get this! I've also been - again, in my opinion - undercharged for works and have questioned the provider to see if there is a reason they're happy with what seems a low price (and sometimes we have agreed it should be more and the fee is adjusted up). What I've got so far on this job was not prompt, not professional and poorly communicated.

Having no joy yet, resizing the photos. :-/

bazzbazz

Well us "Rocket Scientists" charge $70 an hour. 

Baz

(and before anyone comments on my proclamation one should ask what I used to do for a living)  ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

Don't think I don't feel obligated for all your assistance! I would happily have paid you that and a bit more for the shop work if you were 4000km closer...

Edit: I checked, it's 2500km.

bazzbazz

Don't forget the friends and family discount . . .    ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

GTVeloce

When I was changing all the bushings and bearings in my suspension a few years ago I took them in a few lots (about four to do the whole car) to a local car mechanic and paid with a six pack of JB and cokes. ~$20 a time or $80 for the whole lot. Like you said, not difficult or particularly time consuming but I didn't have access to a press and he was happy to do them in quiet moments on the side.

four90s

Ok Baz,

I'll bite; what did you used to do for a living?

Steve
Adelaide.
Four90s
Too many others to list
(33 Alfas and some other things since 1979)

four90s

I just read back what I posted and I'm hoping your answer isn't going to be "an English teacher"

That's what happens when you shoot from the lip folks.

Steve
Adelaide
Four90s
Too many others to list
(33 Alfas and some other things since 1979)

Citroënbender

I should probably round out my blarting with a wrap.

The previously mentioned decent chap next door was horrified to hear (and see the evidence) of what had transpired. He took it as poor form by his fellow townsfolk and made it clear he was determined to right a wrong. With the correct bearing now arrived and mounted in the hub carrier by myself, he invited me into his shed where we ratted through a collection of stuff to find some 7/8" threaded rod, matching nuts and thick flatwashers. The hub flange was readily drawn into the bearing thus; quickly and without damage. I was firmly instructed that I did not owe him anything!

With new bearing, car passed its roadie and is now registered for the correct state. My erstwhile housemate thinks it's a cracker and has been giving it a hiding, which is exactly what I'd hoped for - my own need to drive it being much less.