Barnfind GTV6...ok shed find

Started by Mike, June 10, 2017, 06:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martym00se72

Black crinkle is a fine choice if I do say so myself... ;D
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?

Mike

Yep that looks nice.  I thinknthe plenum needs the flats cut back to polished alley also but otherwise....approved!  And maybe red spark plug leads.

Not too much to report other than heads are a tad loose on valve guides so am just doing new vlaves guides all round.  Safer.  Pic is post bead bast and pre valve guide replacement and seat cutting.  Head will be faced after guides are removed. Bit of pitting, nothing drastic.
cars / projects:
Twinspark - Bonneville car build
85 GTV6 red
86 GTV6 3.2 quadcam on ITBs
Alfetta '74 sedan project
Alfetta '74 sedan 1 owner
'76 Alfetta GT blue
'76 Alfetta GT Twincharge
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb
Audi SQ5...well something has to run

Repco Lad

One issue with polishing letters on cam covers is keeping them shiny over time

I was looking at crinkle finish, but it was recommended to me that I use standard automotive paint, polish the letters, then finish with a coat of clear coat

Comes up pretty well. This is 5+ years old

Mike

That does look very good.  Crinkle finish can be a bugger to keep looking clean and new. Goos point.

Not much to report. Both heads are rebuilt.  More cleaning, removal of oil pressure tensioner, replace water pump, some belts hoses and gaskets....and a darn good flush!..oh...and a decision on cam cover finish...hmm.

cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

GG105

I hydoblasted the plenum and valve covers on my 2.5. They look great, dont tarnish and are easy to keep clean.

See my Early GTV6 thread for photos.

John
1959 Giulietta Sprint
1969 GT 1300 Junior
1970 Giulia 1300 TI
1975 Ferrari 365 GT4
1990 Mazda MX5
2005 BMW 330Ci
2014 Porsche Turbo

Mike

Back from holiday and looking forward to making progress on the old girl.  Decided cam covers will not be crinkle anything.  Insteas will polosh lettering and then clear coat.  Ill save crinklw for the quad cam I am putting in my racecar. Thanks for all the input, it helped with the decision!

Some of you may know I have been on the hi t for a an Alfetta sedan.  Heres a sneak peak of what I just picked up after years of looking.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

poohbah

Nice - what's its story Mike? Obviously hiding in a Victorian shed somewhere for a while.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

aggie57

Quote from: Mike on July 23, 2017, 08:25:58 AM
Back from holiday and looking forward to making progress on the old girl.  Decided cam covers will not be crinkle anything.  Insteas will polosh lettering and then clear coat.  Ill save crinklw for the quad cam I am putting in my racecar. Thanks for all the input, it helped with the decision!

Some of you may know I have been on the hi t for a an Alfetta sedan.  Heres a sneak peak of what I just picked up after years of looking.

👍👍
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Mike

Yes it has quite a story.  It's previous owner had sadly passed away, so I will be respectful with the details I put on the web.  Suffice to say it is a one owner car with 75,000 original miles.  It runs like an absolute dream, a real credit to the previous owner who made many small changes to improve little mechanical details.  The result is the most lovely Alfetta to drive.  Of course, after sitting for some 8years, bushes, brakes and clutch systems all need attending to, so after a short drive up and down the road with mates who helped pick it up, it is now receiving the attention it deserves.  My aim is to be very respectful to the car, keeping it in the condition it left the factory.  I would like to recover the now tired seats in leather, but all in good time.  Body wise it has crazed paint on the bonnet and roof and a couple of dings hear and there, minor stuff though.  Most importantly, it is incredibly rust free.

We made a road trip of it so it was quite the adventure, covering 1000 or so km's to pick it up.  It really is a timewarp.  The colour is AR 518.  Ruby red and after a wash, I love it.  I will ponder how far I go with paint, I would love to fully paint it and bring it back to the original condition, but am cautious, as I don't want to lose the patina and vibe of the car.

cheers!
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

A few picks after my mate Dave has started to work his cleaning magic!
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

And a couple more, after which this thread shall revert to GTV6 goodness!  If anyone does know this car, or its history in detail please pm me as I would like to piece together as much as I can.  Apparently it was serviced at Mile Miglia so I will have to give them a call also.  Perhaps it was purchased new from them also if they sold Alfas back in the day?
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

bonno

Mike
She looks absolutely fantastic and with that new tan leather interior you propose on doing, should finish her off beautifully. 
bonno

poohbah

A real little ripper, Mike. You are right, don't repaint, just do the mechanical and interior tidy up. I look forward to seeing her on the streets of Perth soon.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

aggie57

That is one great pickup.  Seeing the drivers seat I can understand why you'd want that tidied up but my understanding is that these cars never had leather as a factory option.  It was vinyl (like this one) or cloth.

Oddly cloth was not an option in Australia until the 2000 models arrived in late '76. Even though it was available and commonly seen in the U.K.  You'd have thought with our weather they'd offer it.  Like the factory resisted sending white GTV6's at first but was happy to send black ones.  Go figure.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

bonno

Hi Mike
When you ready and decide on getting the seats done, the following link on suppliers of reproduction seat covers in either leather or vinyl might be useful. Even though the Alfetta sedan is not listed on their websites, I am sure they will be able to supply (just confirm via e-mail), with the cost of vinyl being about 1/3 the price of leather. I went through this exercise for my Alfetta GTV Recaro interior, but decided to have it done locally because when you take into account fitting, recovering door cards and exchange rate there was no saving to getting it all done locally. The only aspect to the whole exercise was finding an upholsterer that would do a good quality job and this did take some work, in particular recovering the recaro head rests.
http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=16802.msg96435#msg96435
cheers
bonno