Barnfind GTV6...ok shed find

Started by Mike, June 10, 2017, 06:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Returning to our regular channel..heads cleaned and ready for assembly.
cars / projects:
Twinspark - Bonneville car build
85 GTV6 red
86 GTV6 3.2 quadcam on ITBs
Alfetta '74 sedan project
Alfetta '74 sedan 1 owner
'76 Alfetta GT blue
'76 Alfetta GT Twincharge
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb
Audi SQ5...well something has to run

Paul Newby

Quote from: Mike on July 31, 2017, 09:11:20 PM
Well I own 3 x74s and know where one olive green one is. Who owns the other 196? 😁

I remember wrecking a Le Mans Blue Alfetta back in the early 1990s. It had been cherished (when I first saw it on the road) and then it changed hands and moved to the seaside where it sat outside... A mate and I thought we could rescue it and we had it sent out to Tony McKone's workshop at Windsor - where we found it had a seized motor...  >:(  Plus the rust was taking hold so we "gave" our $750 investment to Mr McKone in lieu of storage costs. Those (perfect) Alfetta doors hung around there for years. (Mr McKone has a Pine Green 74 Alfetta btw.)

I still have an old rego document, so I can probably find the chassis number. Its original NSW rego (Dec 74) was HDK102 (still have the plates) - it came from Mildrens - there was an Alfasud that was HDK101 and a 2000 GTV that was, from memory HDK106, which were on the road in the early 90's. Mildren's must have registered a bundle of Alfas around that time...   :)

The Sydney Motor Show Olive Green Alfetta was owned for many years by the late Harry Lewis (AROCA NSW President and life member) and then bought by a former member who moved up the coast (Newcastle way) - that was about 20 years ago. Not sure of its whereabouts now. He also had what I believe was the original Lightburn Zeta press demonstrator 1964 Giulia Sprint GT that was road tested by Wheels magazine - it was in pretty average condition. Hopefully it is still around....

This is a long way removed from barnfind GTV6s...  :D
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

Mike

Heads all done.  Now for a throurough engine bay clean and block flush.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

tpalfa

How much did it cost to get the heads done?

Mike

One head needed a little weld.  New stems and seats. Faced.  Sub 1000 for shop work.  That does not include remove, install and pumps belts gaskets etc.  From what I hear one should budget 2 to 3k a head if not doing themselves. Of course it depends on what turns up.

Best to call a workshop, they will tell you going rates.

Found the passenger side block has been eaten away away locally and will require filling on the gasket face at the front inside face.  We will devcon the surface which is the area of half a 5 cent peice.  Was hiding under all the crystaline buildup.  Lovely.  Was close to pulling the block out on this one but feeling is this is perfectly sufficient.

Fuel tank is out for a flush.  Nice thick layer of varnish from years of sitting.  Think it protected the tank from rust!  Filter did its job...yuck.  haha
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

Car booked in for Paint end sep!  Cant wait. In the mean time...74 sedan clean up! Dave has been working his magic!
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

Car is now at the paint shop.  The plan was to paint as little as possible.  I wanted as much orig, Original paint to remain as possible.  But the painter rightly pointed out that red fades and as such, c the outcome would be compromised.  So the decision was made to paint her fully.  we removed the engine and all ancillaries in the engine bay,  All glass and trim will also be removed.  There were a couple of rusty brackets on the front passends passenger rail so these were removed and perfect ones removed from my spare shell.  very excited to see the final product.  Photos shortly... I need to resize them... wish the forum resized automatically!
I managed to source a NOS L H mirror metal cover to replace the weathered one on the vehicle as well as NOS indicator lenses and plastic Screws.  Also installed new master cylinders and slave cylinders... Things are coming along nicely.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

poohbah

Mike, Cilebertis have a white '79 Alfetta (manual with blue racing stripe!) waiting for you to rescue it... only $3k

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/osborne-park/cars-vans-utes/alfa-romeo-alfetta-sedan-2-0-1979/1161397200
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Mike

Quote from: poohbah on October 14, 2017, 10:02:35 AM
Mike, Cilebertis have a white '79 Alfetta (manual with blue racing stripe!) waiting for you to rescue it... only $3k

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/osborne-park/cars-vans-utes/alfa-romeo-alfetta-sedan-2-0-1979/1161397200

Haha...no no no!
I'm fond of the early s1 sedans.  The are my weak spot!  The inn is full.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

A few pics from the painters.  Metal work has begun.  There are the usual spots to fix. No corners will be cut...Metal replacement and rust and thorough rust prevention for the future above an beyond factory efforts.  Do it once..do it right.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

Engine bay will get a fresh coat...remove some of the imperfections  caused by leaking brake master cylinder.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

I sourced new lower fender panels from Highwood Alfa.  30 dollars each well spent.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

I had a perfect hatch I could have used instead but decided this one is perfectly savable.  A small section will be made up in metal.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

The driver side lower window has been ignored for a period and this is the result.  Quite superficial with plenty of metal left but unsightly!  The original windscreen  will be carefully removed and this and anything else that reveals itself will be attended to.  Only now are gtv6s getting to a value where doing this kind of work is becoming economical I guess so many vehicles out there have had substandard touchups over time. 

I can't recall if I mentioned it, but when we removed the driver side cam cover we were created with a wheel nut in place of a head stud...Nice...amusingly the head stud resurfaced when the loom was pulled away from the firewall.  It's amazing what so called experts do to their unasuming customers...  we even found a 15mm long peice of half inch tube wedged in the water pump outlet..sideways of course so cooling flow would have been compromised.  The cam belt snapped after many years sitting which saw the owner have the heads rebuilt...this was shortly before the car was then laid up...luckily it did not do much work at all.  The owner recalled a noise from the rear at the time which saw him park it up..fearing a terminal clutch issue and having fallen on hard times.  It has turned out to be a shagged throw out bearing...would habe made quite a rumble.  With the owner spending most of the cars life overseas, the issues I am dealing with stem from a car that has sat discussed.  102000 original is and one owner are great, but there is work to be done to see her to her former glory.  The bones however are excellent and I'm thoroughly enjoying the process.

Stay tuned...who knows what we will find next....touch's a tree.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

bonno

Mike
She is coming along nicely. Have you decided on whether to paint it in 2 pack oven baked or acrylic.
cheers
bonno