Barnfind GTV6...ok shed find

Started by Mike, June 10, 2017, 06:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

True. It could ahve been, except owner said car rego was let to lapse as it was to be driven by son who then moved to melb.  It also needed 4 new tyres and developed a clunk in the clutch..something I belive is actually the bushed mount above the diff. So no...I am enclined to think this is an issue from sitting.  Indeed the exhaust valve was shut to start with and then got hung up. 

One ither important bit of info...very few kms done on rebuilt heads after a cambelt snapped due to age.  Tutt tutt.  So this was rebuilt.  The car was already doing less than 1000kms a year due to not being primary vehicle. 

A bit of elbow grease and its already looking a little less sad. 
cars / projects:
Twinspark - Bonneville car build
85 GTV6 red
86 GTV6 3.2 quadcam on ITBs
Alfetta '74 sedan project
Alfetta '74 sedan 1 owner
'76 Alfetta GT blue
'76 Alfetta GT Twincharge
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb
Audi SQ5...well something has to run

Mike

With the cam covers off a fee things are revealed.  Mechanically things look ok, nothing to be concerned about on cams and buckets etc. Oil does not look overly bad but its not fresh, no surprises there.  The one thing that instantly stands out is a wheel nut used as a head bolt nut.... in two minds as to whether to publish whos fine work this belongs to...
Needless to say that this adds weight to pulling heads off for closer inspection.

Oh well, was always going to get new new cams belt and pump etc so this is not a large deviation and surely good insurance.

Radiator is full of green stuff and still holds fluid.  It's something!

So next steps:

Get engine started:
1. Remove heads and make plan
2. Jig up fuel system to bypass car fuel system.
3. Repaire witing where rats have had a little taste test...actually only a couple of cases of this.

Once that is clear, get quatoe for budy work. 

Rust to sort:
1. Base of windscreen driver side...original screen...do I remove..will it crack..hmmm
2. Hatch passenger side..I have a spare..maybe repair..perhaps replace
3. Dirver front fender. The only place the car has ever veen tapped.  Alledgedly small tap. Closer inspection required.  Poor repair means bottom rusted out and humidity during painting has left little blisters all over the fender. 
4. Passenger bumper mount is rusted through.  New parts will need to be welded in...never seen this area rust out personally.  Anyone else?  Assume Ill have to borrow bits from another car

5. Passenger wing mirror..replace

Thats the plan.  Lets see how we go...its going to be interesting.

All comments help etc are most welcome.  I know my Alfettas but not so much gtv6.  The car started life in the blue mountains...anyone know it?

Cheers
Mike
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

bonno

Mike
She looks very good and what you have detailed so far in your initial inspection and your proposed plan of action is definitely the way to go. With regards to rust on DS front guard and front windscreen, I would definitely check further in  particular around lower wheel arch behind panel were you have spotted signs of rust and  windscreen by lifting rubber on the lower corners. If surface rust only this will not require windscreen removal,  just treat appropriately (rust converter) and prime,  ready for re-coat. 
cheers
bonno

Mike

Will be sure to have a very good look at the wondsreen rust. Hoping it does not het ugly under the fender but expect it will.  The door where it meets the fender at the top is not perfectly alligned so will be having a close look and replacing whole lot if needs be.

A couple more pics after washibg the dust off.  It will need a light cut but no rush for this..other than motivation!
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

poohbah

Mike, as a fellow GTV (2.0L) owning Sandgroper can I just say what a great find. I am very jealous. I wish the body and interior of mine was in as good nick as yours.

Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Mike

G'day Glen,

thanks for the tips and kind comments all.  I have not seen windscreen removal done like that, I will certainly look to do the same.  I am a little cautious as it still has its original heated screen in the car, but it certainly seems that this method is low risk if careful.  Its been 20yrs since I removed my last screen, we did not break it then either.

Nothing wrong with the 2L cars Poohbar :-).  I love mine, the 1.8, 2l's, plastic and steel bumpers, all great cars. Lets face it, they handle better than a GTV6 (mm but that noise!).  A lot of fun for not a lot of outlay.  I keep trying other marks and keep coming back, nothing quite comes close to the sheer fun factor and bang for buck as an Alfetta.  My biggest issue these days is fining the space to house all the little orphans!  Even when I take them in with the intention to part them out, I rather struggle, and instead see 'potential' haha. 

Not much to report today, worked late, dreamt of busso tunes.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

LukeC

Hi Mike

Definitely one to keep original as possible!

I publicly applaud your personal integrity to not exploit the situation financially. So many people would....

Here is my windscreen instructions: http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=13945.0 complete with link to my choice tools. Worked a treat for me.

Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

aggie57

Quote from: Mike on June 13, 2017, 01:40:14 AM
I am a little cautious as it still has its original heated screen in the car, but it certainly seems that this method is low risk if careful. 

Hi Mike

Just to clarify, the front screen is not heated.  The small wires running up the middle and across the top are the inbuilt radio aerial.  But you're right to be cautious - unobtanium these days.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

poohbah

Agree about the sound Mike - that's why my daily is a Busso V6 156! Have fun with the project and keep us posted. :D
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bonno

Hi Mike
With reference to point 4 of reply 16, the rust on the PS body panel (photo 135806),  is it surface rust or has it rusted thru? If rusted through it should not be too expensive to repair (cut out and weld new piece in and then treat and paint accordingly both sides). It would be interesting to determine the cause (battery acid/coolant overflow). The frt bumper mtg brkts I found mine also had surface rust, simple clean up,  prime and paint.
cheers
bonno

bonno

Mike
I have included a photo of the condition of my frt bumper bracket, prior to treatment when my car was resprayed in 2016, however no evidence of corrosion on the body panel mentioned in my earlier post. Additionally, I noticed from the photo that the longitudinal panels alongside the side skirts appears to have signs of surface rust (only), this was similar to mine which I treated the entire underside with a an appropriate under body bitumous paint that was applied by hand. Just keep this in mind when developing your plan, but first priority is to get the engine running as you have indicated.
Cheers
bonno

Mike

Ah yes..sorry..windscreen is aerial not heater..oops.  gee its a good screen though...hate to break it.

The lh front bumper bracket is not a happy camper. See attached.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

Bit more ccleaning and the passenger side is starting to look respectable.

Driver side head is almost off ready for inspection.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

Head off. Will clean up tomorrow. No3 exhaust still very tight. Nothing immediately obvious as yet.  Bores srill have their cross hatching. Lots of crystaline crap in the coolant which is not pretty.

Then had a little play with some 17x8 Speedlines. Would be tight.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

aggie57

An almost perfectly straight front bumper!!  One exists!  And a lovely little 128 3P in the background.   Very nice.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list