Alfa 147 twin spark variator solenoid

Started by Alfapride, June 03, 2017, 04:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfapride

Hi fellow alfisti I have noticed my alfa 147 twin spark has started to leak oil from the variator solenoid  - what's the best course of action here? Is it a matter of replacing the o ring or does it need to be replaced?? Thanks in advance for any tips or advice!!
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

Alfapride

Also if anyone knows a source of where to buy them would be good to know??
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

bonno

Hi Alfapride
Check your local club sponsors for availability and price for the supply of new 147 TS variator. Additionally, sent you a PM on some contacts both here and O/S.
cheers
bonno

bonno

Further to my earlier post, if it is just the O-ring that needs replacing ie; leaking, then I suggest that a new replacement o-ring  can be purchased from club sponsors  or try the local spare parts supplier who holds stocks of various sizes of O-rings (need to take solenoid and o-ring with you to confirm). I would suggest o-ring has hardened over time and lost its sealing properties.  I have attached a photo of the variator solenoid for reference purposes.

Alfapride

Thanks bonno I will keep asking some sponsors locally but so far no luck.
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

bonno

Alfapride
If you have no luck with them, I can guarantee that your local parts supplier with his box of O-rings will have one to fit.
cheers
bonno

Alfapride

Cheers bonno I want to replace Itcas I think mine is damaged the inner piece seems to swivel a bit and I'm told they are fixed unit and shouldn't move? I suspect his is why it's leaking also???
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

Alfapride

Just an update I can't find a new one so I'm going to shop around for a good used one
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

bonno

Hi Alfapride
There is a second hand unit available on e-bay at the following link. http://www.ebay.ie/sch/Other-Engines-Engine-Parts-/61304/i.html
Note : Once in type in "variator solenoid" in Search function
cheers
bonno

Alfapride

cheers bonno, i'm told there are several versions of this solenoid, i best take it off this weekend and check i get the right one!
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

bonno

Alfapride
Try replacing the o-ring and see if it fixes the leak. This will only cost a few dollars and save you the hassle of getting a replacement part.
cheers
bonno

Citroënbender

I've got one that appears to be letting oil through itself internally, as the externally sealed connector socket gets well-wet with oil and it wicks up the harness.

Alfapride

Yep mines seemgone leakjng internally too the connector gets full of oil I'm going to replace it with a used second hand one
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

Citroënbender

I know from experience with oil pressure senders, that once oil is getting through to "the other side" of the diaphragm, the signal is unreliable as the leaked-past oil slows or blocks diaphragm movement. I'd assume a similar outcome is possible with the VVT solenoid once it is no longer oil-free internally. Shame these bits are outrageously dear new.

Alfapride

I agree I'm surprised there's no new aftermarket
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce