Suppliers of external window trims for Alfetta GTV

Started by bonno, June 03, 2017, 08:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonno

Hi kartone
That is the company I sent the e-mail to this morning. I assume you replaced the weather strip rubbers on those reconditioned trims. Do you recall whether you required the different profiles for the front and rear sections.
Cheers
bonno

GTVeloce

I bought 12 metres of the stuff from Highwood Alfa (about 5 years ago) and it looks great and is the correct size (for the door windows but not the 1/4 glass as mentioned earlier) but it definitely didn't have flocking (assuming that's the felt like feel on the window side) and as mentioned elsewhere, it added friction to the window application. Which was not suitable for the drivers window but for some reason made little difference to the passenger window! So I had new on the passenger and an inside strip on the outside for the drivers side (from memory).

I still have the doors (car written off sadly) so can take photos if that helps.

Also, I asked a powder coater re coating the metal strips but he was very reluctant for fear of damaging the metal. He felt it was to delicate for the process so I just spent time painting them which I must say came up reasonably well.

bonno

Hi Alfisti
Had a reply from CICOGNANI and copy of e-mail extract below.

Hello,

usually in one car goes only one type of profile, but it's happened there were two different profile, please check if in your car it's all the same.
We are sorry but of the profile you shown we have only the type without flocking  and with the product code 10075310 we give you 10 mt of profile.

Best regards

Albano
CICOGNANI s.r.l.
Societa' unipersonale
Via dei Fabbri,1
48011 Alfonsine (RA) - Italia
Cod.Fisc.Partita Iva e
iscr. Reg. Imp. Ravenna 01312750399
Cap.Soc. Eur. 98.800,00 int.vers.
R.E.A. C.C.I.A.A. Ravenna 135210

bonno

Well nearly 12 months from raising this post and completing the interior, I have finally began the task of replacing my tired looking and aging external window trims (chipped paint) and weather strips (shrunk). My research has revealed the unavailability of NOS trims and as such, decided to purchase a donor set to have these powder coated (locally) and fitting new OUTER weather strips Profiles 1,2 & 3 (cut lengths per Highwood Alfa website).
Cheers
bonno

GTVeloce

Keen to see how they go with powder coating. I have always just painted them but agree they would last better if they could be powder coated.

I have replaced the rubber with new and are very happy with the result. Even though it doesn't have the felt backing (couldn't find that style of rubber new) the electric windows work fine.

bonno

GTVeloce
The powder coater has expressed no concerns, just a requirement for holes (1 x trim) to hang whilst powder coating. Have stripped and prepped ready for delivery and will post pics of finished product on return.   

bonno

Got the trims back from the powder coater and very happy with result. Have attached shots of pre, during and finished product.
Now onto the supply of weather strips Profiles 1, 2 & 3. The OKP website lists the supply of felt lined trims for Profile 1 "AR 60 004 106"  and 3"AR 60 004 108" for the Alfetta GTV, but no listing for Profile 2, however I stumbled across their listing for the Alfetta sedan and they identify Profile 2 "AR 60 004 110", which looks identical.  Have sent off an e-mail to confirm whether this product is the same or if not what do they recommend for Profile 2.

julianB

Get some silicone spray to help getting seals in.
I also used a small block of timber to widen the channels so I could get the trim pieces back into the cavity... still managed to scratch some powder coating off grrrrrrr
85 GTV6 "Juliet"
GTA conversion-
AHM ITB setup, Jim K manifolds & 10.3 cams, M84
17" Work Meister S1R
330mm Brembo front, vented rears
RS coilovers and bits
Recaro LX mesh headrest buckets

'68 step nose Junior "Romeo"
bare metal project

GTVeloce

I also liberally sprayed silicon spray to all the channels where the windows move. Helps the glass slide more freely in the channel. Especially useful with electric windows. And wear gloves when putting the rubbers back in. I didn't the first time and had rubber 'stuck' to my hands for a number of days.

bonno

Thanks for the tips guys. When these reconditioned trims are fitted, it will bring to an end a 2 year long refresh of the Alfetta GTV, which included the interior and exterior.

GTVeloce

Alfapride

I bought mine from high wood Alfa wasn't cheap still in the box been too lazy to fit them the quality look nice enough
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

bonno

Finally finished the external trims and weather strips. I ended up using profile Type 1 for front fixed window and flocked Type 3 for the rest. Find attached photos of before and after shots of the job (specifically weather strip shrinkage). This brings to the end of a 2 year refresh of the Alfetta GTV and it is now over to the O/H of Transaxle.

GTVeloce

Looking good bonno!

Now, best way to overhaul the transaxle is buy a TS one...

bonno

Thanks GTVeloce. The idea of using a TS transaxle has crossed my mind, but the dilemma is apart from the one currently in the car I also have a spare and unable to justify the extra costs in going down this path (PS : Pretty sure it should be a straight swap). Anyway this is a topic for a separate post and will be raised in due course.