Suppliers of external window trims for Alfetta GTV

Started by bonno, June 03, 2017, 08:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonno

Hi fellow Alfisti
Does anyone know were I can buy a set of new external window trims for Alfetta GTV. I have attached a photo in which the trims have been identified by red arrows.
Cheers
bonno

105gta

A few years back, I tried very hard but infortunately was unsuccessful finding anyone in the world reproducing these rubbers.
Hopefully this may have changed. 
If you have the same luck I did and still want them. With enough interested parties I may be able to have a small production run made up.
See how you go
Ben
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (WIP)
1985 GTV6 (WIP)

bonno

Hi 105GTA
I am after the trim assembly which includes the powder coated black metal trim and rubber wiper extrusion fitted to this trim. The units fitted to my vehicle are showing signs of ageing and the rubber extrusion have shrunk about 20mm over time. If it is not possible to get new ones my only option is to recondition the ones I already have. This involves disassembly of the metal trim from rubber extrusion and have them sand blasted and powder coated, then fit new rubber extrusion to the desired length of trim.
cheers
bonno

bonno

Further to my earlier post, there is a manufacturer here in Australia that can produce any type of rubber extrusion (refer to link below). I will be sending them an enquiry on minimum order quantity (lineal metres) to run a batch for the extrusion profile or whether it is a stock item. I will need to measure my existing one up and take a photo of the cross section of the profile.
http://www.narmrubber.com.au/rubber-extrusions

GioGTVTS

Hi Bonno, I was told to swap the inside rubber trim to the outside and vise versa, if that helps.
John
'85 Alfetta GTV Twin Spark

bonno

Hi GioGTVTS and 105gta
Thanks guys for your feedback. I just took off the DS trim to see exactly what is involved and took several photos of the trim and weather strip. The weather strip slides along the metal trim track and not stapled as first thought. Additionally, there are 2 different extrusion profiles, one for the straight section and the other for the curved section. I will be e-mailing these photos together with a hand sketch of the both profiles to see what they can do. 

GioGTVTS

I bought some new ones for the winding windows section about 5 years ago from The Italian Job in Oakleigh.
John
'85 Alfetta GTV Twin Spark

bonno

Thanks again guys. I will give The Italian job a call and see if they can supply for the winding window sections that contain inner felt liner. I will do some more investigation on line on new S/Steel trims, but more than likely I will need to recondition my old ones, ie; sand blast and powder coat.
cheers
bonno

105gta

The rubber strip isn't a regular profile. I found one that was close that had an extra section that I trimmed off with a razor blade. It was below the metal section so not seen. Only difference is it doesn't have the flocking on the side touching the glass which adds a little extra friction, something the poor old window mottoes noticed. Otherwise looks correct form outside the car.
I was going to go down the same path of a batch made in the correct profile with flocking but settled for the solution i came up with. With enough interest I was planning On eventually getting a batch made. From memory it worked out to be a few grand dollar wise but that was a couple of hundred metres. With 12mtrs per car, it could be cost effective.
Keep us posted if you decide to do it
Ben
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (WIP)
1985 GTV6 (WIP)

tpalfa

bonno

Thanks tpalfa. Checked out all 19 x products listed on their website and the profiles don't match the one fitted to my car, as they are missing section that slides in the S/Steel metal trim. I will make contact with them and send photo  and see what eventuates. Additionally, I have sent an e-mail to my Alfa Supplier in South Australia who appears to stock the weather strip. I will keep forum members posted of my enquiries.
cheers
bonno

bonno

Thank You to all on your assistance
Further to my earlier post, the South Australian supplier advises that he does not stock weather strips for the Alfetta GTV. The product listed in the Italian suppliers website ref code 10075310 bottom profile appears to be the one to match. Will be making contact to confirm suitability and whether it is suitable for both curved and straight sections (only difference on my vehicle is no inner felt on curved section, assume cost cutting on factory fit product).
cheers
bonno

Italian Supermodel

Hey Bonno thanks for your efforts to date in sourcing these rubbers.
I would definitely be keen to be part of a larger order if they can be determined they are of good quality etc.
Its staggering to think they are so difficult to make and supply.
Similar to the plastic horn buttons on the early Alfettas!
Surely the demand world wide would be enough to make them available,or maybe not.

gtv6sv

Following this, if we can somehow get a batch made, I'm sure there would be a fair few Alfetta GTV/6 wanting to get a set!
1970 1750 Berlina
1983 GTV 2.0
1985 GTV6 2.5
1991 164 Q 12V
1992 33 16V S
1999 GTV Twin Spark

Paul Gulliver

Similar to the plastic horn buttons on the early Alfettas!

Have a look on the Highwood Alfa website.    http://www.highwoodalfa.com/133b202e-1698-47ff-b288-06aca62c4d23-9.html 

If your putting together a group order for the rubber I would be interested.

Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0