New exhaust for 105 GTV

Started by Mr Frog, May 28, 2017, 03:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Frog

My 105 GTV engine is coming out soon for some long overdue work. I was thinking at the same time of replacing my old and patched standard exhaust with one of the aftermarket SS sports exhausts from England, or a standard exhaust.

Is there any special tuning required or complications likely if I do buy one of the sports exhausts? Any drawbacks that anyone is aware of?

Paul Gulliver

Locally , Vin Sharp makes a very nice set of 105 headers.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Mr Frog

Thanks for that - I'll see what he says.

Craig_m67

I bought the std exhaust from Classic Alfa for my GTJunior, only took three days to get here..
(I only post to as it was both cheaper and faster than a local, for std)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Colin Byrne

Just remember that whilst stainless steel is nice and shiny and is very resistant to corrosion it is terrible in terms of fatigue life, so if you do go down that route make sure that it is installed and hung correctly because if you don't it will start cracking before you know it, 105's are really bad for cracking exhaust systems
As for a "Special Tuning" or added performance, that will all depend on what you do to the engine.  If you just do a stock rebuild a nice set of extractors and a slightly larger exhaust may get you a few extra pony's but nothing staggering (as the stock headers aren't actually all that bad).  But if you start mucking around with valves and port sizes, cams and compression, a good set of tunned length extractors and low back pressure exhaust is pretty important to get the most out of the mods. 
As for Carby jetting, again a stock engine rebuild will run fine on the stock jets, and chucking a new exhaust system on shouldn't change that all that much.  But if you start mucking around with those other engine mods it will definitely require new jetting.
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

Mr Frog

Thank you all - I went for the standard pipes from Classic Alfa. I must say I miss the sound of my much-holed and much-repaired old pipes.

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

for anyone else stumbling upon this thread, looking for exhaust options.
Bruno and Giancarlo at Maranello-Pur Sang got one of their suppliers to fabricate an exhaust for my 1750 S2.
Reasonably priced, it sounds amazing and like a good bottle of wine, has improved with age.
Cheers,
Marco
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).