Comments on buying a used MiTo please...

Started by deep_notes, May 30, 2017, 07:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deep_notes

New here. Anyone have any thoughts on a 2009 MiTo with 77K on the clock? Things I should look for? I'm in Tassie and there aren't many (any?) around or people to ask. Thanks. :)

alfamisa

You may find it hard for much feedback due to the small sample size of Mito in Australia, I suggest you spend some time reading through this section of the UK owners forum. Of course keeping in mind that every car brand, model etc will have it's issues and to put those in context.

Remember on any forum for any subject matter, there's always many more that make the effort to post so as to complain than to compliment. Good luck with your purchase;

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-mito/

:)
The Alfa Romeo heritage "rinascimento" (renaissance) continues in each and every new model...the first "rinascimento" being 1915.

Paul Gulliver

I'll just throw my 2 cents worth in. Over the last couple of years my wife has had a VW Golf 118 TSI  with DSG  and my daughter an Alfa Romeo  Mito Distinctive TCT. I have been in the position were I got to drive both and you guessed it got to pay all the running costs on both . Whilst ultimately the Golf TSI was the better car it cost significantly more to run and I mean significantly.

With the Golf the engine was replaced under warranty , (thankfully) because of a burnt piston & valve damage. The issue being poor quality Australian 98 Octane petrol with a relatively high spec  turbo charged & super charged engine . The  DSG transmission  needed a very expensive retro fit again under warranty. We had the car for six years . After all the expensive warranty work I purchased an extended 3 year warranty and sold the car at the end of 6 years . No major issues in the last 3 years of ownership but  dealer servicing costs certainly weren't cheap. The Mito on the other hand, after 3 years of ownership has only suffered a blown front headlight bulb  ( $25.00) .It is now due for a new timing belt ( circa $900.00). Dealer servicing appears to be less. The TCT on the Alfa is not as sharp as the DSG on the Golf . But ultimately more reliable. No worries about the ghost of the selespeed with the TCT.

It is also interesting to note over the last six years to the best of my knowledge no Mito or any of the Alfa Romeo range for that matter has suffered a manufactures re call.  , The same could not be said for VW.    Alfa reliability on the newer cars is as good as any of the Europeans.

PS . What great roads you have down there . Just had an extended long weekend with my 105 GTV  a couple of weekends ago . What a blast.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0