Giulia Quadrifoglio meets Audi S4 V8 on German Autobahn

Started by bonno, May 25, 2017, 09:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonno

Hi Fellow Alfisti
Find a link to a Youtube video involving high speed touring on the German autobahn by a Alfa Romeo Giulia QV. For those not familiar this motorway and others like it in Europe have unrestricted speed limits and if you are in the overtaking lane travelling at 110kmh, well you can see the dangers of such a practice. People hogging the overtaking lane on motorways is risky, dangerous and also illegal and on this video you will soon see why. Thankfully here in Australia we do have speed limits to reduce the associated risks.
https://youtu.be/LgAbagQmIxQ
cheers
bonno

kaleuclint

Very different mentality in the Fatherland towards driving (and discipline!) and I can tell you from regular use that encountering anyone doing more than 140km/h is actually quite the exception.  Most of the network is restricted to 130km/h or less anyway, and nearly all traffic moves happily at 100-120km/h.  I've also seen the results of high speed autobahn use.  Remember the issue with the Audi TT at introduction before it was fitted with a rear spoiler?  In one journey Ulm-Stuttgart spotted three over the guardrail.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

julianB

Bonno, I'll point more to the lazy attitude of Australian drivers inhabiting the inside (in our Case, right) lane and not doing the speed limit as more of a danger.
With the distances we have to cover between cities and even from CBD to outskirts, our speed limits are unrealistically low and a cause of fatigue.
We need them raised!
85 GTV6 "Juliet"
GTA conversion-
AHM ITB setup, Jim K manifolds & 10.3 cams, M84
17" Work Meister S1R
330mm Brembo front, vented rears
RS coilovers and bits
Recaro LX mesh headrest buckets

'68 step nose Junior "Romeo"
bare metal project

Neil Choi

Here is one of our Alfa mates in Europe, but in his Jag.
Pleased to see the good European driving etiquette of keeping right and moving over.
https://youtu.be/QcszKym2UJM

aggie57

Quote from: julianB on May 25, 2017, 10:45:10 PM
Bonno, I'll point more to the lazy attitude of Australian drivers inhabiting the inside (in our Case, right) lane and not doing the speed limit as more of a danger.
With the distances we have to cover between cities and even from CBD to outskirts, our speed limits are unrealistically low and a cause of fatigue.
We need them raised!

Actually I don't think you do. Need them raised that is. The open road freeways in Australia are simply not engineered for the sorts of speeds being discussed here, or in the liked videos. There are far to many intersections and cross roads.  Example, the Hume north of Craigeburn or maybe Seymour.  All those interactions would need to be rebuilt to merge traffic smoothly rather than have vehicles enter from a standing start.

Not to say 120km/h or so isn't doable but even if it was that personally I'd be very cautious.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

aggie57

Quote from: aggie57 on May 26, 2017, 10:20:17 AM
Quote from: julianB on May 25, 2017, 10:45:10 PM
We need them raised!

Actually I don't think you do. Need them raised that is. The open road freeways in Australia are simply not engineered for the sorts of speeds being discussed here, or shown in the linked videos. There are far to many intersections and cross roads.  Example, the Hume north of Craigeburn or maybe Seymour.  All those interactions would need to be rebuilt to merge traffic smoothly rather than have vehicles enter from a standing start.

Not to say 120km/h or so isn't doable but even if it was that personally I'd be very cautious.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

poohbah

That video is actually quite terrifying. I'm not sure I would ever trust the folks in people movers and HGVs in the slow lane enough to fly past at 285kmh.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bonno

I am with you poohpah quite terrifying to say the least. When you take into account the slight rain, travelling speeds reaching 289Kmh, is absolutely criminal. Needless to say that this video is not a hit with many of the views "thumbs down", being recorded.
bonno