Dodgy Fuel Gauge!

Started by Citroënbender, May 23, 2017, 06:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroënbender

Hey, like most lessons I've learned in life, this one has come the least convenient way...

It (147) said almost half full, well over 200km remaining. But conked out after pedalling hard up a long hill, all the classic signs of no fuel available to the pump. Almost got a C-Klasse up my clacker in the process.  :o

One big fat WIN was having the laptop and cables with me, I was able to check all essential parameters that go with readiness to start, when they all sang true I realised it was highly likely just a dry tank.

bazzbazz

So the fact that you were getting 100km/L mileage didn't seem odd to you for the last couple of week?   ;)

;D
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

bazzbazz

Quote from: bazzbazz on May 23, 2017, 06:40:41 PM
So the fact that you were getting 100km/L mileage didn't seem odd to you for the last couple of week?   ;)

;D

Ohh, and its not the gauge, it's the fuel sender in the tank that'll by faulty.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroënbender

Yes, you're right - gauge is incorrect vernacular.  8)

Put in 10 litres courtesy of a friend (the mutual road rescue brotherhood), drove 20km to my local servo and pumped another almost 58 litres to brim it.

I can't complain, it was about as least inconvenient as possible; dry, safe, a breakdown lane and my workday had gone well.

alfamisa

Let's face it owning an Alfa, any Alfa, is an adventure. I owned a 2006 facelift 147 for 7yrs...the gauge read false once like your story...go figure. However I was alert to the change and went to a station to fill her to the brim, avoiding the saga you went through.

Really when you're on your dead bed looking back at Alfa Romeo ownership, you probably wouldn't have missed it for anything :)
The Alfa Romeo heritage "rinascimento" (renaissance) continues in each and every new model...the first "rinascimento" being 1915.

Citroënbender

I've had some great "mis"adventures in Australia.  :D  People underrate how safe it is here, how fair the weather, how trustworthy most people really are.

Now I'm wondering if there's gain to be had from removing the sender and lightly buffing the resistive track/contact arm with grey Scotchbrite. Worked well on the Pugs.

bazzbazz

Quote from: Citroënbender on May 23, 2017, 08:36:59 PM
Now I'm wondering if there's gain to be had from removing the sender and lightly buffing the resistive track/contact arm with grey Scotchbrite. Worked well on the Pugs.

I've personally tried doing that, always fails again shortly after, buy a new pump.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast