A grease nipple!?

Started by johnl, May 18, 2017, 03:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnl

Discovered today, one of my lower wishbones has a grease nipple fitted to the ball joint (offset to the sloping side of the 'dome', pointing backward, and hard to see, found it by feel). Other side no nipple. Has anyone else seen such a wishbone?

It might be a modification by a previous owner, I don't know. When I bought the car it was my understanding that all the wishbones had been recently replaced. Anyway, since I was intending to fit grease nipples to the BJs at some stage, looks like a bit less work when I finally get around to it...

Regards,
John.

Citroƫnbender

Could've been a "belt and braces" old schooler. Else one of those polyurethane injection remedial efforts.

Alfapride

My 147 has one too was done as a mod by a mechanic when I bought the car to stop noise
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

bazzbazz

Certain brands of both upper and lower arms come with grease nipples fitted in various places on the arms.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

johnl

Quote from: bazzbazz on May 23, 2017, 06:43:29 PM
Certain brands of both upper and lower arms come with grease nipples fitted in various places on the arms.

That is what I was wondering, but I'd never seen such either in photos or in the metal, so was thinking it might be an 'added' feature on my wishbone. Seems less likely it is, and more likely it's a 'standard' fitting on that particular arm.

Anyway, it's definitely a 'good thing' to have 'zerk' style fittings on items such as ball joints, and any lubricated pivoted sliding style of bushing such as the upper wishbone pivots (which I keep reading are rubber, but - never having taken any apart - it seems more likely they would be some sort of polyurethane, since they are 'sliding' bushes and need lubrication?). Same too for aftermarket poly lower wishbone pivots.

If I can ever find the time I'm intending to fit 'zerks' to the other lower wishbone ball joint, to the upper wishbone ball joints / pivots, and maybe fit lower wishbone poly bushes and zerks. Time is hard to find though...

Regards,
John.