166 fuel pump

Started by shane1750, May 13, 2017, 05:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bazzbazz

John, I try to speak in a manner and use terms that the layman and non technical minded can come to grasp with, we are not all gifted rocket scientists! ( Even though I ACTUALLY AM!)

Being RAAF trained and spending most of my life working on the most technically sophisticated hardware of the time, I have qualifications in Aviation, Electronic, Mechanical & Chemical Engineering, so trust me, if I wanted to baffle, confuse & bewilder the people I am trying to help I could do so to a degree they'd end up in a straight jacket.

As for JB Weld, here's direct from their web page -

Q/ How can I remove J-B Weld after it is fully cured?
A/ When fully cured, J-B Weld can only be removed by grinding or filing it off, or by directly heating the product above the
    600ยบ maximum temperature threshold.

Q/  Is J-B Weld resistant to water and/or gasoline?
A/  When fully cured, J-B Weld is completely resistant to water, gasoline, and about every other petroleum product or
      automotive chemical.

Check Six

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

johnl

Point taken Barry. I didn't expect that you didn't understand it, and that you were probably trying to keep it simple, but I suspect that this kind of simplification is often how misconceptions can begin, i.e. in this case that a product such as JB Weld somehow miraculously turns to contiguous metal when it cures, which of course it can't. Just trying to be clear.

A note about epoxies. There are a few different kinds with varying properties (don't ask, I'm not an expert on this). Using the wrong one in a given application can cause problems, an example would be Araldite which is a great glue, but one thing that it is not is water proof. Araldite will dissolve if soaked in water for any significant time, which is useful to know if the application involves water exposure, or you ever want to un-glue something that has been glued with it, i.e. just immerse it in water for a few days and it will come apart (worked for me a few times).

Regards,
John.

bonno

Hi Alfisti
My newly acquired 156 JTS also had a fuel leak when purchased a week or so back (fuel smell within cab on test drive) and this aspect was negotiated on with purchase price. Removed back seat to access fuel pump and confirmed it was leaking within the quartet fitting. I attempted to repair it, by first cleaning the surface and then using JB weld product, applying virtually the entire contents into the cavity, without success. A new Bosch electronic fuel pump was purchased via e-bay, for $290 AU (includes delivery). I am not driving my vehicle at the moment until fixed, as I am not prepared to take the risk of possible fire. Morale of the story here is if you have a fuel smell within the cabin more than likely the electronic fuel pump needs replacing not repairing (ASAP).
cheers
bonno