156 2.0 JTS questions (oil and keys)

Started by Thijsvr, May 08, 2017, 01:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thijsvr

Hi, I'm due for an oil change. I have no idea what something like that costs in Melbourne. Are there any decent shops around the Brunswick area that I can go to? I would normally do it myself, but don't have anywhere to work on the car. I'm not a true believer that you should only run a certain brand, so if the shop's not stocking up on Selenia I'm fine with that.

Another issue I have is that my car only has one key of which the remote doesn't work. Instead of paying 200 dollars per key at a locksmith with the remote still not working I'm considering swapping out the ECU and keys. For the physical bit of the key I would just get a few cheap copies of the key I have and swap that bit over to the new key with working transponder and remote, so I wouldn't have to change over all the locks and the barrel.

Am I right on that or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Neil Choi

Bruno at Maranello Pur Sang in Colebrook St Brunswick, right next to you.

9386 9650

He uses Martini Race Oils, the blue stuff and is all good.

Good luck with key.

I have only one key for a 156 and told my son not to ever lose key or the car is junked.

bonno

Hi Thijsvr
With regards to your key you should be able to get a mobile service that will come to you to cut and set for your vehicle against your original key. Just check your local area and confirm with them your requirement. Here in Sydney I recently got 3 new keys cut for 3 separate vehicles @ $150 each.
Cheers
bonno

Citroënbender

I tackled the key shortfall with multiple strategies.

First I had two flip keys cut from a photo, by "keysinthepost". It was about $78 airmailed for them. Next I bought two used remotes off Fleabay, total cost $40-odd. Third step was cloning the ID46 chip twice, this cost $200. Now I'm just waiting on my secure code to assign the remote transponders with MES. So, excepting whatever the code costs me, it's about $150/key.

bazzbazz

Ahh, clarification, do you own a 156 2.0 JTS or a 159 2.2 JTS . . . ..

There is just a "small" difference in replacing keys between these two models . . .  ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Thijsvr

Quote from: bazzbazz on May 08, 2017, 07:12:39 PM
Ahh, clarification, do you own a 156 2.0 JTS or a 159 2.2 JTS . . . ..

There is just a "small" difference in replacing keys between these two models . . .  ;)

Ah, excuse me. I have a 156. The 159 in my profile picture will be it's replacement (but with a 3.2 ;) )

Thijsvr

Quote from: bonno on May 08, 2017, 05:11:28 PM
Hi Thijsvr
With regards to your key you should be able to get a mobile service that will come to you to cut and set for your vehicle against your original key. Just check your local area and confirm with them your requirement. Here in Sydney I recently got 3 new keys cut for 3 separate vehicles @ $150 each.
Cheers
bonno

Thanks, I'm not too worried about the cutting. The issue is that the remote of my current key isn't working. I would like it to though. So getting another ECU + keys is maybe $250 or something and swapping that over I would have keys + working remotes again.

Citroënbender

Is the remote deemed irreparable? Many just need a micro switch or two replacing - or even just the originals re-soldered.

Thijsvr

Quote from: Citroënbender on May 09, 2017, 01:11:31 PM
Is the remote deemed irreparable? Many just need a micro switch or two replacing - or even just the originals re-soldered.

Yeah, nah it's gone. I've tested it. I think the previous owner had a cheap copy without the remote functionality made.

bonno

Quote from: bonno on May 09, 2017, 05:06:51 PM
Thanks, I'm not too worried about the cutting. The issue is that the remote of my current key isn't working.
With the mobile key cutting service they will also program the key, containing remote  to your cars computer. This needs to be part of your service requirement when sourcing a local mobile service
bonno

Thijsvr

Quote from: bonno on May 09, 2017, 05:08:23 PM
Quote from: bonno on May 09, 2017, 05:06:51 PM
Thanks, I'm not too worried about the cutting. The issue is that the remote of my current key isn't working.
With the mobile key cutting service they will also program the key, containing remote  to your cars computer. This needs to be part of your service requirement when sourcing a local mobile service
bonno

Thanks, I'll look into it. I've called a few locksmiths and they all quoted $300+ without the remote.