Sud Corner Weights & Handling

Started by Trikes, May 06, 2017, 03:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trikes

Just wondering if anyone has had their Sud on a set of Corner Weight Scales?

What did you change to achieve a better balance?

My Sud is very Over Steery hence me looking for a better balance.

Sportscar Nut

Trikes, a Sud should not over steer unless power is backed off exiting a corner being FWD. I suspect you need to check shockers/ springs/ suspension arms well before corner weighting as something sounds amiss. The Sud's handling is a delight and the car should only under steer when pushed hard but is so controllable via the loud pedal!

Not even sure how you corner weight a Sud??? My Lotus Exige is corner weighted but this done via adjusting spring heights and shocker stiffness settings.

Cheers
Paul

blazingsud

corner weighting should be done with shocks and roll bars disconnected [+fuel & driver weight].

As this usually impossible to do with shocks disconnected, at least roll bar disconnected on one side.

Your car will neeed adjustable spring perches.

On my 928 the roll bars have custom adjustable links, so that they are set with no preload after corner weighting or in my case after ride heights are set. I don't have scales but set ride height within a mm or two via adjustable spring perches. I am amazed at what 5mm can do to change the ride, as in this car its designed to work in a particular sweet spot of the suspension geometry.

My 928 front springs are 3 times standard stiffness, but as the shocks are properly valved to suit, the ride is very good in 90% of driving. Worse is slow speed & a long whoop type bump. Not enough energy in the car to keep it level so it follows the bump instead of springs absorbing.
Nigel Hyphen Donut
2010 159 2.4JTDm SW
74 sud  Blue Procida
76 sud L Silver
76 sud.L Coral Red,
78 Sprint 1.5 Red Twin carb
82 Alfasud Ti 1.5
83 Alfasud Ti 1.5
Porsche 928S4,Ducati 907ie x 2,Lambretta
Haflinger
past
79 Alfasud,Alfetta 2.0