Old Alfa fan, new Alfa owner...

Started by Rising Sun, May 03, 2017, 07:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rising Sun

Hey all, Its Russ here. Many moons ago, I started my working career as an Alfa apprentice at Henleys Motors in Camberwell (Melbourne). This was in the late 80's so I guess you can work out that I'm in my mid forties. 3 years on these cars doing all sorts of weird and wonderful things. Learning to strip engines and diagnose the strangest of faults, usually before the 30K service. Tuning carbs by ear. I was learning heaps. The poor Honda apprentices were pretty good at learning to spin filters all day. So why is it that some 25 years on, I have this need to go back to my roots? I mean I have never actually owned an Alfa. But I have to go back. Is it a midlife crisis? Well, one thing I know, Alfas are charismatic and 100% infectious. And little did I know that I had been infected by Alfa blood way back then. So much so, that I have this yearning to get the car that was always in my dreams back then. And guess what? I have done it. Finally! Yesterday, I picked up a car that has been around the country, but started its life in Australia at Henleys Motors, when I was an apprentice. I even worked on this car. I finally have my GTV6 GP. Proud as punch!!!

So that's just a small snapshot of me, guys. I can't wait to meet some of you in person at upcoming events as I've also just jointed the AROCA (I hope I got that acronym right - Its all new to me)

Oh, please forgive me if I ask some stupid questions. 25 years is a long time after all!!! So be kind  ;)

bonno

Hi Russ
Welcome aboard the Alfa Forum and great to hear you have purchased your first Alfa Romeo after some 25 years. As you have indicated the Alfa Romeo marque is “charismatic and 100% infectious” and in my case this stems back to my first Alfa being a 1750 GTV back in the mid 70’s and have owned several others since then. My current vehicle is a 1983 Alfetta GTV4, which I have been doing some restoration/refresh work to the exterior and interior. As you probably aware that this forum is a great source of information and getting assistance/advice from other forum members in the upkeep/maintenance of your vehicle. Hope to catch up on National AROCA events such as Auto Italia and Alfesta in the future. Would be great to post picture/s of your GTV6 GP at some later stage.
Cheers
bonno

Garibaldi

Hi Russ,
Welcome and congratulations. I remember Henley's in Camberwell very well. I was living there in the early 80's. I used to go there regularly to look at the Alfas. I have a 1979 Alfetta GTV which has been a mini project, it's coming along well. I look forward to catching up with you at some of the club events.  :)

poohbah

What a brilliant story Russ. Welcome back. Mine is just a 2.0L but I love her all the same...
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Rising Sun

Hi guys,
Thanks so much for the warm welcome. I really can't wait to meet up with you guys at upcoming events. My first one will be the Busso worshop, so if any of you will be going along, please let me know. From your responses and your photos, I can only say that I'm super excited to be a part of this fabulous community. Re photos, I'll be sure to put some up when I've had a chance to take a few, so stay tuned. And again, thanks for the welcome.

kaleuclint

Henleys?!  That brings back memories...  Grand Prix BMW.  Ron Angel's.  Back when dealers sold cars and not "lifestyle". :)
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Victor Lee

Hi Russ, 

Nice to meet you at the Club Nite yesterday and hope you had an enjoyable first meeting. Look forward to seeing your white GTV6 in the daytime!

Cheers,

Victor
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb