Alfa Romeo 147 Speakers not working correctly.

Started by BrokenCar.jpeg, May 03, 2017, 06:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig_m67

Quote from: BrokenCar.jpeg on May 05, 2017, 05:08:38 PM

Ok so is the speaker wiring fixed into the loom? I know there is a dodgy connection as they do work sometimes but I could check it with a multimeter. The sound it makes when it cuts out is consistent with an electrical short. The contacts weren't dirty so I just checked them for dust or anything which could get in the way. Also is the white foam in the door for noise cancellation? It appears the rubber seal in the front of the door hinge area is missing so is it possible it is water damaged?

There is one "loom" in the door. It contains all the relevant wiring for whatever is in the door. Wires leave the loom as it passes the relevant ancillary (mirror, speaker, tweeter, switches, window motor, central locking).

Contacts corrode and or become loose, bent etc; you won't dust that off.

Simply check the relevant connector with the relevant speaker wire using a multimeter
Colours for each speaker wire are marked on the top of the head unit
Pulling the loom out of the door to check this is pointless

The thin white foam is a moisture barrier between the door card and (the inside of) the door. It provides no acoustic benefit. There's no other sound deadening in the door, a search will provide plenty of threads showing how to better fix the speaker (MDF) and seal the door (dynamat)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

BrokenCar.jpeg

Great news all!!! :) I have found the problem and it is simple to fix. So basically my car is third hand, the guy we bought it from told us he had to get the passenger side repaired after a crash. The problem with my speakers is some retard has cut and re soldered the 'TO AMP' wire so it passes between the door frame and woofer which creates a pinch point and shorts out the speakers. All I need to do is cut the wire at the pinch point, re-route it correctly and repair it. :) Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help.   

bonno

Hi BrokenCar.jpeg
That is good news. A simple fix is generally the solution with most of these electrical faults if you can pin point it at the source. If you look at you initial post you probably hit the nail on the head when it was confined to only the one speaker. We sometimes try to over complicate the problem when we have little or no experienced in such areas as electrical faults.
cheers
bonno