Alfa Romeo 147 Speakers not working correctly.

Started by BrokenCar.jpeg, May 03, 2017, 06:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrokenCar.jpeg

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with a problem I am having with my Alfa Romeo 147. My speakers in the passenger side work sometimes but keep cutting out and don't work again until the car is restarted. I do not have the original stereo but the new one still works fine and I have checked all cables at the back and found no problems. I have pulled the door interior off and checked the connections to the speakers which all seem fine. I was going to check the connections from the car to the door but was unable to remove the black rubber clip thing from the door. I have put electrical tape over the speaker plugs connections thinking it may be shorting out but there still seems to be no difference. Just today my drivers side speakers cut out and instantly the passenger side set started working. Is there a short in my wiring somewhere or is something else wrong? Please note both sets of back speakers work flawlessly and I have not had a problem with the drivers side before today.

Thank you all for any advice you can give me.     

Mick A

It will more that likely be a fault with the amplifier built into the head unit. I would suggest buying a second hand unit from a wreckers. Not a serviceable item. Make sure the replacement unit has the 4 digit radio code with it.

Cheers.

Mick

bonno

Hi
Sounds to me that you speaker is faulty and needs replacing.
cheers
bonno

bonno

To check the condition of speakers I have attached the following Youtube link.
https://youtu.be/XpdKpnz8h64
cheers
bonno

BrokenCar.jpeg

Quote from: bonno on May 04, 2017, 08:34:43 AM
To check the condition of speakers I have attached the following Youtube link.
https://youtu.be/XpdKpnz8h64
cheers
bonno

Thanks for your reply :) My speakers are all fine as I have tested them individually and they all work. I am positive the problem lies either with the wiring or something else. 

BrokenCar.jpeg

Quote from: Mick A on May 04, 2017, 12:49:35 AM
It will more that likely be a fault with the amplifier built into the head unit. I would suggest buying a second hand unit from a wreckers. Not a serviceable item. Make sure the replacement unit has the 4 digit radio code with it.

Cheers.

Mick

What do you mean by unit? Are you talking about the stereo or another part? Thanks for your reply :)

Craig_m67

It's likely the connectors between the door and the door frame. Give them a wiggle and see what happens, they're a bugger to get apart and often just need cleaning (connectors spray stuff) with the something appropriate from jaycar.

If it's not it could be the connector block on the back of the head unit, pull the head unit out, leave it plugged in and again given it a wiggle to see what happens to your music.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

BrokenCar.jpeg

Quote from: sportiva on May 04, 2017, 10:26:25 AM
One simple test is to run temporary bypass wires, disconnect the original wire at the speaker and separate and tape the ends then run a bypass from the same coloured wires at the multi connector of the head unit or remote amp to the speaker.
The head unit is the part of the system in the dash with the controls for volume etc usually with a built in amplifier. If you have remote amps check the wires between the head unit and amp then from amp to speakers also check the multi connector at the rear of the unit for loose wires.

It is easy to do and through a process of elimination you will eventually track down the fault.

Cheers Sportiva

Thank you for this information. I now understand what the unit is and as I said I have checked the connections at the back which all seemed fine. I would like to try your bypass method but I don't know how to disconnect the wires from the car to the door. The black rubber connector near the bottom hinge seems to have a clip on it but it's still not easy to remove. Also how do I know which plugs on the amp control which speakers? Thank you

BrokenCar.jpeg

Quote from: Craig_m67 on May 04, 2017, 04:23:49 PM
It's likely the connectors between the door and the door frame. Give them a wiggle and see what happens, they're a bugger to get apart and often just need cleaning (connectors spray stuff) with the something appropriate from jaycar.

If it's not it could be the connector block on the back of the head unit, pull the head unit out, leave it plugged in and again given it a wiggle to see what happens to your music.

Thanks :) I have check the connections at the back of the unit and doing so has made the rear speakers much louder. How do I undo the connections to the door frame? It looks like there is a clip on top which is easy to undo but I cant get the main connection off.

Craig_m67

The clip pulls down about a centimetre, it doesn't completely off the connector block though.
You then can then seperate the two halves, from memory you have to twist it a 1/4 turn and wiggle it a bit

BrokenCar.jpeg

Quote from: Craig_m67 on May 05, 2017, 09:53:25 AM
The clip pulls down about a centimetre, it doesn't completely off the connector block though.
You then can then seperate the two halves, from memory you have to twist it a 1/4 turn and wiggle it a bit

Ok thanks I'll try that this afternoon :)

BrokenCar.jpeg

Ok guys I just started my car and all sets of speakers were working correctly including the drivers side tweeter which has a loose connection. After opening the passenger side door the speakers on that side cut out however all 3 other sets are still fine. I completely disconnected power to the door as suggested, cleaned it out and re connected.... still nothing. This tells me the problem is with the wiring inside the door and not the unit or speakers (I have no clue why the driver's side cut out the other day but it's fine now). Tomorrow I will pull the door apart and attempt to remove the wiring. A friend of mine who has an automotive apprenticeship says this should be fairly simple to do. If I can safely get it out (without breaking anything) I will attempt to insulate and re connect it. Here's hoping :)   

Craig_m67

It's easy enough to pull out the loom (having done it) however it contains wiring for the Windows, door locks and switches.. I really wouldn't bother.

Just use a multimeter to check the connection block in the door with the speaker wires.
What did you clean the contacts in the door connecting block with?

BrokenCar.jpeg

Quote from: Craig_m67 on May 05, 2017, 04:55:55 PM
It's easy enough to pull out the loom (having done it) however it contains wiring for the Windows, door locks and switches.. I really wouldn't bother.

Just use a multimeter to check the connection block in the door with the speaker wires.
What did you clean the contacts in the door connecting block with?

Ok so is the speaker wiring fixed into the loom? I know there is a dodgy connection as they do work sometimes but I could check it with a multimeter. The sound it makes when it cuts out is consistent with an electrical short. The contacts weren't dirty so I just checked them for dust or anything which could get in the way. Also is the white foam in the door for noise cancellation? It appears the rubber seal in the front of the door hinge area is missing so is it possible it is water damaged?

bonno

Hi
Quote from a previous reply earlier in the thread   "My speakers are all fine as I have tested them individually and they all work". This fault is quite bizarre, suggest that you swap over one of the speakers that is working with the speaker that is playing up and see how you go. I am not sure whether you checked with a multi meter  speaker wires fixed in the loom from the previous reply.
cheers
bonno