Maybe a new 156 owner

Started by pete.t, April 30, 2017, 07:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pete.t

Hi everyone,just got approval and seems my initial message has gone MIA so will re-ask now as it has become fairly urgent that I make a decision. I have been offered a 2000 model Alfa Selespeed for free but there are issue and I need advice before I commit. The car has been parked up for an unknown number of years and there is no history available and the current owner just wants it gone. It seems to me like I may be taking on a very big kettle of worms after reading the various posts regards issues with these cars. My question is that before I even endeavour to start this car,if I take it on,I am looking for some advice regards what I should be checking out beyond the normal fluid levels etc etc and even when I try to start it,issues that I should be looking out for,keeping in mind etc. Apparently all I can find out at present is that it threw the water pump belt and it was parked up after that,maybe seized,maybe not,just dont know yet. Body is straight but clear coat on paint is very poor,interior very good,leather seats good,headlining good,trims etc all good.
So,Im open to all advice,comments,recommendations etc.,if I need to purchase a new engine what sort of money am I looking at,I believe its a twinspark?Am located in Melb. Eastern Suburbs so could use a good experienced local mechanic. Anyway,thanks and will look forward to your advice.

poohbah

If you are not mechanically minded, you need to consider this will likely need a lot of work even if the motor is not seized, simply because it has been sitting for years. For starters, the timing belt will need to be changed before you even try to start it. In a workshop, that job alone will cost +$1500 to do (with new water pump). You also need to work out if the reason its parked up was because it was the cambelt that actually failed - if it did, the valves are probably bent. If that wasn't the reason its been parked, and you start it without changing the belt, then you run the risk of it failing and blowing the motor. (Cambelts on these cars need to be changed religiously every 60,000km or 3 years, whichever comes first.)

But 156s are cheap as chips to buy - if its free, you have somewhere to store it and you aren't in a hurry, you could part it out and put the money toward buying one with good history.

Of course if you are adept with the spanners and can do all the work yourself, go for it - its free.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Mick A

Hi Pete,

It's been sitting for years, it's a selespeed, the paint is stuffed, and you said it yourself it's thrown the timing belt. It's almost certain it's bent some of the valves. Even if it did run, to get a RWC you'll probably have to throw control arms, tyres etc at it. All overcapitalising on the car, which would only be worth a grand or so anyway.

Forget it and move on. These cars aren't worth bringing back from the dead, they aren't collectable and aren't worth much.

Find a reasonable one that doesn't need all the work done to it. You don't want to sink too much money into an early twinspark.

In my opinion the only versions of the 156 that are worth spending the money on are the 2.5 V6's and the 3.2 GTA's.

Sorry for the bluntness but I'm doing you a favour, trust me!

Mick.

pete.t

Bluntness is not a problem and I feel that I agree with you completely. As I think I said,its free and I think its the belt for the water pump,not a timing belt due to location and ease of access.I just love the body shape so Im actually wondering if I use the body and transplant mechanicals from something else,its the sort of thing I generally do. Anyway,as said,its been offered but I haven't accepted at this stage so will have to make a decision and get on with it.Thanks again,Pete.

bonno

Pete
Check your other duplicate post on the subject under the 156 category. Not sure if you have noticed/acknowledged.
Cheers
bonno

Mick A

Pete.

Water pump is driven by the timing belt.

You see what I mean now?

pete.t