156 twin spark motor in a project

Started by pafiat, April 30, 2017, 05:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pafiat

Hi,
I propose to transplant a twin spark motor from a low miles but derelict 156 into a completely non-italian project car we are building. It will be installed north-south with an, as yet unidentified, gearbox. Any thoughts on what needs to be present from the donor car in the way of wiring, sensors, ignition etc for the engine to run properly? Will it be happy running north-south? Any suggestions on a gearbox that will mate up without too much fabrication?

I'll post this in the 156 section also for those who only visit that so please excuse the duplication.

Regards Pat

Citroƫnbender

Interesting choice for crossbreeding. You'll probably find an aftermarket ECU more flexible in your application, as such you really only need the existing sensors.

Are you handy? It will be helpful on the budget if you are! Outsourcing this sort of stuff would be painful.

psproule

I'd be considering an aftermarket ECU. There are a few slight variations on the TS motor in the 156's. Assuming you dont mean a JTS. Some have the coils as waste spark across two cylinders, others across two plugs to one cyl each. They run crank and cam position sensors, MAF, different configs of O2 sensor (one or 4 in AU delivered models), drive by wire throttle, oil, water and knock sensors. They are also variable timing on the inlet cam using solenoid controlled oil pressure to a camshaft variator and variable inlet using vacuum control over a servo. The TS ECU's are mounted on the throttle body. Depending on variant of donor car there is some CAN BUS to other ECU's such as the Selespeed.

Probably the bigger issue might be the engine mounts and bolt patterns. The 156 TS mounts being for a FWD chassis are not suited to RWD at all. Manifolds might be a pain also. Why the TS engine when something like an SR20 with a ton of aftermarket bits is available?

Pat