Track day tyre dilemma

Started by Smaan, April 23, 2017, 05:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smaan

Just after people's opinion...

First track day in the 147GTA booked in for the 13th May (hopefully approved).  The tyres are at about 15% tread remaining; still a millimetre or two off the wear marks.  But they are nearly 7 years and 40,000k's old.

Do I leave them on and replace after the track day or get a nice set of semi slicks before the day and scrub 20% off the new boots ???  May-be more in a GTA....

And what is recommended in the semi slick range for GTA's ?

wantok

Hi Smaan,

Would definitely not be using those tyres at a track day on a 147 GTA!!
At that age and wear level there is very high probability of a serious failure.

I have used Nitto NT01's in the past and found them to be a good track day tyre for the money and also usable on the road with good wet weather and wear characteristics.

If you are really serious and can afford them go for Yokohama Advan A050's.

Cheers,
Wantok

Paul Gulliver

I would also be putting some serious thought into new brake pads & changing the brake fluid. Sandown can look benign enough , but it is a very fast circuit for your first outing. Make sure you pay attention at the driver briefing and really pay attention and listen when you get someone to take you out on a few orientation laps before the meeting starts. Once you get started use the day as a confidence building exercise . Your faster times will probably come after lunch and remember you have got to drive the car home at the end of the day. 

+ 1 for the nittos , or look at Toyo Proxes or Bridgstone Potenza's as a reasonable semi sllck . 
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

josh18

Hey, I was looking into semi slicks a while back for something that could be tracked but also daily driven. What I read in a few places was that track semi slicks don't wear down as such but heat cycle out (go really hard I think) and can be ruined by driving on highways etc. This didn't sound that plausible to me so I'd be interested to find some opinions from guys who have run them.
Cheers

Steve S

If you have only one set of wheels I would get some Yoko AD08r. They are street tyres that are quite capable for track days. Therer is no delemma, definately buy new tyres for the track day. Safety aside, old tyres with no grip are no fun

wantok

Great advice from Paul and the other thing worth considering is a set of braided stainless steel brake hoses and high using High temperature brake fluid and the change out and you should not have any problems in that dept either.

Only ever used the NT01's to drive to and from the track as I have another set of wheels and tyres for everyday use but as Steve S has said the Yokohama AD08's would be a good compromise if you can only have a single set of wheels and tyres.

Wantok

Smaan

Thanks all for the feedback.

In answer to a few points. I've already installed some drilled and vented disks all round and some better pads as well as the stainless brake lines.  But the fluid does need a change so will do that too.

I've run the proxes before but on a clubman and loved them.  It was a dry weather only car though.  But yes after a few miles on the road they hardened up quite a bit.

The AD08's seem like they might be the go.

Will get down to Stucky's in the next few days for a change of boots.

Thanks all again.

alanm

Ask Stuckeys if Dunlop Direzza 03G is street legal.
Good choice if you don't want to have 2 sets of wheels and tyres.
I was going to suggest Direzza Z2 but they don't seem to have them now, only Z1s.
I use Z1s on my road car which does the occasional sprint and my experience has been very good (Z1s not available in 17" I think).
Al.
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33

bazzbazz

Apparently they are street legal.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Smaan

So it looks like there are two options that I'm down to:
1. Dunlop ZII for $290 per corner, or
2. Yokohama AD08R for $309 per corner....
I understand the Yokohama is slightly better but the last set of Yokohama's I had only lasted a few thousand k's.

Mick A

As a general rule the better the tyre the shorter it's lifespan.

Weigh up what you're after.

Honestly though, If you're a beginner I wouldn't even be thinking about putting R tyres on the car for your first outing, some good road tyres will be fine for now. You aren't going to set any lap records I promise you. Work on your driving first, then try get more out of the car once you've found it's limits safely.

Mick A

My apologies, I didn't read that last post properly. You are looking at road tyres.

The AD08R's are a great choice.